Doi Birthday Knives - Curious about owners

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Seth

Founding Member
Reaction score
For Doi sans 80th birthday he produced 20 300mm yanis, ten blue, ten white, five of each wa, five of each western. I was just wondering if forum members were owners of these knives (other than me) and whether you still use these knives and if you think they have appreciated in value.

Seth
President, The Doi Birthday Knife Club

Anything to do with the limited edition (numbered) that were offered on the Korin web site? hayate?

Anything to do with the limited edition (numbered) that were offered on the Korin web site? hayate?

Yes, they came from Korin like 3-4 years ago when Jackie was still there.

Then I got one... Its a 270mm Keijiro Doi Hayate... Blue steel. Its got ironwood handle and its numbered... got a nice saya and pin! I would need to look at the number.... Ill try to get some pictures when I have a chance...

If i remember correctly.. He made 20 or 30 of each.. Including some sakimaru takobiki and some kensaki yanagi, maguro and kiritsuke. I was looking at the web site and there are still some for sale... I do not know if they are still the limited edition.

Not sure about these details... Maybe someone can clarify....

It came in a box.... Ive still got the whole kit... I thought it would be a nice thing to get this master craftsman's work at its finest back when they came out..

I think the world of Keijiro Doi and his work... These knives are flawless! :cool2:
I was very impressed with these knives...

What he said!

To go along with your new avatar, this is from the home of the mouse in Orlando.

file-9.jpg

Then I got one... Its a 270mm Keijiro Doi Hayate... Blue steel. Its got ironwood handle and its numbered... got a nice saya and pin! I would need to look at the number.... Ill try to get some pictures when I have a chance...

If i remember correctly he hmade 20 or 30 of each.. Including some sakimaru takobiki and some kensaki yanagi, maguro and kiritsuke. I was looking at the web site and there are still some for sale... I do not know if they are still the limited edition.

Not sure about these details... Maybe someone can clarify....

It came in a box.... Ive still got the whole kit... I thought it would be a nice thing to get this master craftsman's work at its finest back when they came out..

I think the world of Keijiro Doi and his work... These knives are flawless! :cool2:
I was very impressed with these knives...

Yeah I think the year before there was a run of 270s. The ones I'm talking about are kiritsuke style. Just to add more salt to the wound I have the 300 and I also have the 270 willow with Ebony handle. I will get some good pictures of them later.

So you think I got the very first batch? :scratchhead:

Maybe we should ask Mari how many runs, types and quantities Keijiro did!

Mari... If you read this... Can you help? :cool2:

The 270 that I have seems to be the same series as yours, mine with number 65. I bought this after the 300 but I think was made before the 300. That is an amazing knife, imo, because the balace is perfect as is the f&f. I showed this knife to a Japanese guy once who said it was a fake because it was too heavy! Somehow I doubt Korin sells fakes as they seem to know Keijiro Doi.

Back