Quantcast
Wine advice needed ASAP..... - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine advice needed ASAP.....

Im pretty sure I recall that you're in Jersy...

My brother is spirits director at Mccabes on 3rd ave and 77th in NYC. If you can stop by, either he or one of the other guys can help you out.

-Sam

I would recommend the big B's from Italy. Brunello, Barbaresco, and Barolo -- all are readily available. I do like Amarone, but it is such a food unfriendly wine that I would tend to pass on that. That is just my opinion.

I would highly second getting a large format bottle as suggested by mhlee. A 1.5 is probably fine, but if you go bigger -- make sure to plan for friends to help drink it.

As for 5 years, I think that is fine, but I don't know if I would shoot for the 10 year. Too much can go wrong, and if you improperly store it or the wine is past its prime, then it might just be a 10-year disappointing beverage. Why not get a large format for the 5-year and then some regular bottles for years 1-4 that you can open on your anniversary? At the 5 year, you can replenish your bottle for the 10th.

And if I were writing on bottles, I would get darker colored bottles.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

For 5 years aging I would pick a good Sonoma Zinfandel, Burgundy or Chateauneuf du Pape.

If you have proper storage conditions, a 10 year aging window is no problem at all. Plenty of good wines will go that long and more such as Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon (or Petit Sirah for something different), Barolo, Bordeaux, vintage Champagne, Rioja and top Aussie Shiraz. Sauternes and vintage Port are just getting out of their youth at 10 years too.

Magnum bottles (1.5 litres) are a great size for parties and they do age slower. However, I wouldn't recommend bottles larger than this as they tend to be a rip-off.

If you don't have storage yourself, your wine store or an independent cellaring service might work.

I know you're not a wine guy Suds but if you're looking for something that's heirloom quality and you don't want to hassle with seeking something out I have a 1997 Chateau Montelena "Estate" Cabernet Sauvignon 1.5L. It's been kept in my commercial wine keeper for about 9 years. The last one I opened had lots of time left in the bottle. 5 easy maybe 10 years.

If you want a wine to age for 10 years, you are going to need to put it somewhere climate controlled for temp and humidity. Going from a dry 50 to a humid 75 ten times is going to take its toll.

It is a shame that they don't make all well-structured wines with screw caps. The idea of a defective cork on a 10 year old wine scares my pants off.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    ...It is a shame that they don't make all well-structured wines with screw caps...
    They're out there. Just not too many of them.

Ryan,
    If you're a heavy red wine guy and she's a light, fruity white gal and there's really nothing you both like, the best idea is probably a champagne, IMO. It's just "classy" and pairs well with a wide variety of nice foods to have with a significant other. Take a picture of the sparkling wine sections of your favorite shops and we can vote on the selection.

My wife & I have a bottle of 91 Dom that we received as a wedding present that we are saving for our 5th anniversary so that is always a good idea. We have a couple of bottles of Silver Oak set aside for special occasions.

To follow the wedding theme you may want to consider:

2001 Fisher Vineyards Wedding Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon - It is not cheap but it will keep for at least another 17 years. I had a bottle of it last year that was fantastic. Being that it is very fruit forward, you may want it just for yourself.

There are also a few good Rieslings out there that might be a compromise between a heavier wine and a white that keep well.

Quote Originally Posted by BurkeCutlery View Post
    It is a shame that they don't make all well-structured wines with screw caps.
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    They're out there. Just not too many of them.
    Didn't Plumbjack make a splash with putting screw caps on $100+ bottles. I just got in yesterday a whole case from Loring Wine Company -- they only do screw caps and it is very good wine.

And I second the sparkling wine/champagne route. Can't go wrong with that.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Most of the Rieslings I picked up while I was in Germany had screw caps. Seemed a little sacriligious to me, but I sure have enjoyed them. Funny thing was the brandy's I picked up at the vineyards had cork tops.

I just came back from one of the local Costcos. They have large format bottles in stock already.

I saw Bollinger Special Cuvee Magnums for $120 ish and J Sparkling Wine Magnums as well (no visible price).
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

+ Reply to Thread