Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lodge carbon pans

Lodge carbon pans

I was at Cabelas this weekend, and saw some Lodge carbon steel pans. They looked intriguing, but unfortunately didn't pick any up while I was there. Has anyone here used one before? What are your opinions. On gas, electric, induction burners?

I'm going back the area next week, so maybe I'll just pick one up anyways. This will be for at home, but will still get a lot of use. I'm used to caring for cast iron at home, and carbon pans at work, so that's not an issue. Just wondering about others experiences.

~joe
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

they are good pans. some are quite roughly finished, however, so try to get a smooth one. or just get a Paderno or DeBuyer, instead.

I've read some pretty nasty comments about them, and although I've never used them, the couple I've handled didn't differ too much from my DeBuyer and Paderno skillets. I'd definitely strip the seasoning and start over, though. That said, I'd still probably get a DeBuyer, just because they've been doing it longer, but I don't think the Lodge would be a bad choice.

i say debuyer mineral pans only =D

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    i say debuyer mineral pans only =D
    Paderno are about as good, and much cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Paderno are about as good, and much cheaper.
    Agreed. I got my dad a couple Padernos for Christmas last year because I didn't have the budget for De Buyer. He loves them and they cook just as well as the De Buyer. The area on the bottom of the pan is actually larger as well. I personally have two 12" carbon skillets, one Paderno and one De Buyer and in use there is no real difference.

But at the same time, if given the choice, I want De Buyer, and that's probably all psychological (I NEED the BEST).

Are the De Buyer that expensive in the US?? I paid my 25cm Carbone+ some €25,

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Are the De Buyer that expensive in the US?? I paid my 25cm Carbone+ some €25,
    More like $60, for the mineral b, which is the commonly available one. Still not real expensive, but the Paderno is half the cost.

I thought the de Buyer were a very good deal, and in fact now that I have looked at the Paderno I think they may be roughly the same price so I too am a little confused, but that just may be the difference of where someone is shopping online I would guess.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right