Need Help With D Handle - Please Chimen In

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Never ending...

I have been thinking that for larger knives that are likely to be used with a pinch grip, the tapered ferrule on a D style could be very good. On smaller knives, like petties or even sujis, where a knife is likely to be held by the handle, the tapered ferrule might be not necessary, and some might even find it distracting, as it kind of puts your thumb and index finger in a fixed position.

I might consider a different taper that rounds the front of the handle rather than having two flat tapers on each side, or make D style for smaller knives identical to Japanese D. My 180mm gyuto I use at home has a generic Japanese D and it is quite comfortable the way it is.

So, my question to those who like D handles, what grip do you use on smaller knives and do you feel that the front end of a typical D handle gets in a way between switching from a handle to a pinch grip, do you find larger handles more comfortable on smaller knives, as opposed to smaller handles? Any other preference?

Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thank you and Happy Thanksgiving to all of you.

Marko

what grip do you use on smaller knives and do you feel that the front end of a typical D handle gets in a way between switching from a handle to a pinch grip, do you find larger handles more comfortable on smaller knives, as opposed to smaller handles? Any other preference?

Hey Marko,

I will pinch grip smaller knives . I like larger handles on say 5.9in petty knives, I like them to stick out a bit (just my preference) One 7" wa-petty I use, the handle measure's about 5" and sticks out the back of my grip about a 1/2 inch. I don't feel the front end of a typical D handle gets in the way. I like to have something I can back my pinch grip into when cutting.

Happy Thanksgiving.

A lot of the time, with smaller knives - especially light ones - I'll use the 'forefinger on spine' grip, and I like the handle to be in proportion to the blade. My lightest knife, a 210 petty at like 95 grams, I often hold with my fingertips at the machi, so a tapered handle on that knife would be great.

Back