"The Determined Angel to Sustain Hope" (The DASH) Charity Sale: Marr 240mm Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
I'm putting a knife up for sale from my personal collection. It is an Adam Marr 240mm Gyuto with a burled redwood handle and African blackwood ferrule. The blade is made out of AEB-L, hardened to 61hrc. I've used it fairly extensively and I've really enjoyed doing so.

I got the knife as a gift from Adam, because of a "defect" in how the blade and handle align. It is a cosmetic issue, and really doesn't affect performance, but was enough for Adam to remake the knife and let me have this one in the meantime (or, actually permanently, until I asked him about reselling it). His generosity and desire to make as close to perfect of a knife as he can really says a lot about him and really just sent positive vibes through to me. The issue with the handle and blade alignment likely occured during the setting of the epoxy (my theory), and can best be described by saying the edge faces a little to the left with the spine up (1.5mm or so off), and the machi is a bit uneven (top has a slightly larger space than the bottom). I can take pictures for any serious "interested parties". With all of this being said, the knife performs beautifully and deserves to be used daily, or in a professional environment. The steel takes a wicked edge and holds it very nicely, while being surprisingly tough in use.

Why I'm selling this knife and donating the money to "The DASH"

I was inspired by one man's generosity - That man being Tsil Censor (TC Blades). I am currently having a knife made for me, by him, and in our agreement for the price, he told me to make a meal for a hungry family with the knife, and give them food for a day. I don't know about you guys, but I've never had anyone suggest that as payment, or part of a payment, but I was inspired by his love for his fellow man. I told him I would, and it wouldn't be a one-time deal. I fully plan on doing this many times a year, while using the knife that he is so painstakingly creating with me in mind. I told him to "do his thing", and I trust him 100% with the task. So, why if I'm going to use the knife I've commissioned TC to make for me, to make food for the truly hungry, am I selling a knife to donate to charity? As I mentioned, I'm inspired...and why stop there?

How did I choose "The DASH"?

"The DASH" is a local foundation that makes a real difference through their efforts and is one that helped a beautiful, smart and funny friend of mine and my wife's when our friend was battling cancer. Unfortunately, our friend, Julie lost the battle, and passed about a year and a half ago, at the age of 26. However, "The DASH" helped send Julie and her Mom on a Mother-Daughter trip in the later stages of her battle. This trip gave our friend's mother lasting memories and gave Julie another opportunity to smile and enjoy life (not that Julie ever needed an excuse to laugh and make others join in).

"The DASH" raises money and gives it back, directly to a person, or group of people, in order to make an immediate impact. They help people who are battling cancer and their families by donating wheelchairs, sending people on trips with loved ones and making the impossible possible for people who truly deserve it. Their money doesn't go into a huge pot and get divided into 25 cent portions, thrown at 1000 different things. They take the money and use it TO HELP and GIVE HOPE! I haven't yet told the charity that I'm donating and doing a sale in their honor, but please, feel free to check out their website (it is very outdated, but the charity is still going strong!) at www.thedashfoundation.org

Onto the the item up for sale; here are some pictures:

60ABFB67-7EF7-4C50-BEEC-AD0AADBE88B3-18503-000019E003A754D8.jpg

F33A8E0C-AC34-4C84-BAA8-5DFE5BB91469-18503-000019E030471BD6.jpg

09C79F0D-9B06-4985-B26A-6FDBE5673081-18503-000019E04AEFD300.jpg

Price: $375-425, depending on who is willing to give the most. I promise, every cent is going straight to "The DASH". If this is too expensive for you, but you now realize you want to give back, please consider "The DASH", or a charity in your area that you feel a connection to. Or, at the very least, take those $200-2000 knives and make a meal or ten for those who need it.

Thanks guys!

Um.... I hate to point this out,..... but.... your fence..... um, ya um........ needs some help. Btw hope the drive goes well and great looking knife.

$350, but honestly, I don't want to go any lower. This is for charity, and it's a great knife. Hopefully someone likes this price....

It's a beaut.. How does it cut? Not much is said about his knives here. (btw this is a bump)

Um.... I hate to point this out,..... but.... your fence..... um, ya um........ needs some help. Btw hope the drive goes well and great looking knife.
Hey Crothy, lemme see some pics of your fence. I seem to remember you giving me a hard time about mine too!!!
Tom, don't go too low on the price. Hopefully I can scrounge up enough tip $$ over the holidays for this one. Sounds like a great charity.

Haha. Yup, that's Adam's fence. The lighting hasn't been good here, and I thought it was a cool looking background. :D

I don't really plan on going any lower, but this is for charity, so we'll have to see, I guess.

For any razor nuts, I was VERY GENEROUSLY donated a Wacker Spanish Point straight for this same sale/charity. I will post pictures and further details soon. The price for this razor will be $175, an again ALL OF IT goes to The DASH.

Thanks again, guys.

I live in a apartment, so no fence. I am just joshing, trying to be funny.

I live in a apartment, so no fence. I am just joshing, trying to be funny.

I know, just giving you a hard time. Some pics of a knife on a barb wire fence would be pretty sweet though.

very nice gesture. the new owner should be happy with a great knife and being part of a good deed. wish i had the cabbage.

Looks like the razor is sold, sight unseen! Of course, I'm gonna send pictures, but wow!

Knife looks great and it even goes with my redwood and black ferrule look but like everyone here I'm a little to gyuto heavy in my collection to take it. Keep it up and I'm sure someone will come along with need for a nice custom made gyuto and the heart to donate to a needing charity.

Thanks for all of the great comments, guys! I'm sure someone will pick it up, and when they do, I'll be very happy to donate the money to a worthy cause (and one close to my and my wife's hearts).

Oh, and yes, it does cut beautifully! :D

Back