Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: japanese knife identification

japanese knife identification

hi, I recently came across a 2 Japanese deba knifes and 2 what looks like petty knifes. They are in bad shape and I was wondering if anyone could identify them. I'd like to know if it would be worth it to restore them. The wood handles are splitting from the tang expanding from corrosion and needs to be replaced, the edge have chips in them and will need to be removed. I have a 7" deba, 6" deba, and a two 4 3/4 inch petty knifes, looks like pairing knifes. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

7" Deba

6" Deba

petty knives

the two on the bottom almost look like honesukis.

Welcome Quark!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

checked with sara on this this morning...
    cant read the top one (just too difficult to read due to fading and style)
    the second one could be kikuhide (but not 100% sure)
    the pettys are kikufusa

the last photo, I'm really not so sure about. I can be sure about the first ("kiku) and the last two chracters ("tokusei" specially made), but the second character is really tough to identify.

I think petty - 菊秀特製 - Kikuhide special make.
    http://www.hamono-net.or.jp/anata/ginzakikuhide/
    Second deba - 菊一 - Kikuichi
    http://www.kikuichi.com/
    I can only recognize on the first one 登録 - registration, but I can't read firm name.

great! starting to narrow down things now. I'm pretty clueless to japanese characters. Looks like some great suggestion, but I'm a bit confused. It seems like the petty knives are kikuhide knifes or kikufusa? I found a small red box that says kikuhide, nothing really fits except the pettys. Wondering if its kikuhide then? As for the 6" deba, kikuhide, or kikuichi? I've had a friend say its probably kikuichi, as it has the character for number 1, that line going across on the bottom. First knife, still pretty clueless on. In either case, would these knifes be worth putting some work on? or are they cheap run of the mill for Japanese knifes? I'm basically looking at removing all the rust, and replacing the handles. Basically getting them back into working order.

also, where can I find replacement handles? I've seen some around but they are mostly custom made, fancy ones. Just looking at something functional.

Thanks for the help, and I really appreciate it.

As to whether they are worth messing with, put them to the stones and see how the steel feels. If it is nice and hard, there you go!
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Check Maxim for nice inexpensive handles ready to install...
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

i think your kikuichi deba is pretty old - metal ferrule was more common in older times in Japan. The first knife that I can't identify is also interesting - I think the style used for the logo is very cool.... the font has similar feel to it when you think about really neat and cool English cursive letters. I wish I had better pen ship to write and read old Japanese writing/fonts.