Quantcast
Initial Western Sharpening
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Initial Western Sharpening

Initial Western Sharpening

I was just curious what is meant by "Initial Western Sharpening" that I see when looking at knives on your site. I read in another post that a lot of Japanese knives come not terribly sharp. Is that what you are referring to? Why Western sharpening on a Japanese knife?

Thanks!
    Brian

Brian, most blades from mid and high end vendors come with only a partially finished edge on them. the assumption is that the buyer is sophisticated enough to know what kind of edge they want and to create it themselves. Despite this, most of these knives come with an OOTB edge that will shame the standard German/French offerings...which mostly about the geometry of the knife and not the edge per se.

In this context, "western sharpening" basically means "double bevel."
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    Brian, most blades from mid and high end vendors come with only a partially finished edge on them. the assumption is that the buyer is sophisticated enough to know what kind of edge they want and to create it themselves. Despite this, most of these knives come with an OOTB edge that will shame the standard German/French offerings...which mostly about the geometry of the knife and not the edge per se.

In this context, "western sharpening" basically means "double bevel."
    Exactly! Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread