Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cowry X Santoku 165mm - available!

makes me want a zdp 189 knife =D

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Ive only read good things about the ZDP189, and am actually contemplating my most expensive knife purchase as I write this...the Konosuke 240mm Gyuto ZDP189 Custom which can be found at that one togo knife place for $1,045.

Now you have me worried. Anyone else know about the ZDP189?
    i have not damaged my mine, it is very fine and takes a great edge. Just difficult to sharpen due to the hardness, and a bit too brittle. i mostly have carbon and mild stainless steel knives, so maybe i am just biased.

At the place we shall not speak of the custom 240 ZDP189 is $1045. You could probably get 2 customs from makers here for that price, and obviously they are made to spec whereas the Kono isn't. There's also a few different options for stainless from the guys here and other makers. Are the potential advantages of ZDP worth that much to you?

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    I am intimidated by the locals 1; Ive never tried their knives 2; I am unsure of their pricing 3; I have tried swooping up some of their knives on the BST but am always late. 4; I found this konosuke on another forum for $700+s/h
    Konosuke makes nice knives, but at that price range I don't understand the appeal. Get a Martell (prices listed), Marko (prices listed) or be bold and pm / call Devin, Mario, Pierre, Randy, Will, etc. I'm sure they could all make something great with that budget.

+1 on andrew's post

+2 on Andrews post. I have the ZDP189 santoku. I use jnat stones and have no issues sharpening it. Can get it super sharp and holds it for a long time. With poor technique, it can be chippy, but I have not really had any issues. I still prefer R2 over it.
    I would certainly not buy a 1k + kono, I would jump on a custom. Not sure what PMs they have, but they have some of the different flavors of PM available for their knives.

i've used 189 knives, and they sharpen up just fine on regular stones. never used Cowry, but i doubt it's much different.

pictures of these...

sorry, i cant post pictures....

i got three of these from the postman on Friday. Nice. Two for gifts, one for me to play with.

The profile is exactly the same as the ZDP 189 knife. The handle will take some getting used to. I may have the handles redone on both knifes in a matching set up.... who knows. Actually a great beater for travel. it was sharp out of the box, with mess with it later in the month...