Cowry X Santoku 165mm - available!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ggg16902002

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I would like to inform you all that Koki from JCK has just received new batches including a Cowry X Santoku 165mm made by Sanetsu (still available). It's a san mai blade with core edge of Cowry X.
I have just purchased one, there are still a few more.

Best regards to all of you.
Souli

On he subject of the update, Itou seems to have their own "faux nakiri" versions at the very bottom. They have named them " Safety Design Utility Knife!"

Yeh spotted that, very nice. No more until 2013 for me though. My early resolution :laugh:

those went very fast.

i have a zdp-189 version or close to the same from the looks of them.

i bought a couple of the 189s and gave them to a few friends for an idea of what an edge can be like. The 189s are brittle, and a pain to sharpen. one of my buddies hacked his to the point that it looked like a serrated blade... sent it to Dave for a new start, and it has stayed in tact.

I would love to have a cowry x to try, but not sure how hard they will be, heat treatment is pretty important to these steels based on my understanding. Too much and the tool will take a very fine edge but risk chipping.

Anyway, how did you know that he only had a few left? when i saw the website, it went from buy to sold out in about an hour. lucky for me a placed an order as soon as i saw it.

i have one for me, and two to give to some special friends this christmas.

I'm curious how they compare to the henckels miyabi zdp189 ones, as they're comparable in price.

those went very fast.

i have a zdp-189 version or close to the same from the looks of them.

i bought a couple of the 189s and gave them to a few friends for an idea of what an edge can be like. The 189s are brittle, and a pain to sharpen. one of my buddies hacked his to the point that it looked like a serrated blade... sent it to Dave for a new start, and it has stayed in tact.

I would love to have a cowry x to try, but not sure how hard they will be, heat treatment is pretty important to these steels based on my understanding. Too much and the tool will take a very fine edge but risk chipping.

Anyway, how did you know that he only had a few left? when i saw the website, it went from buy to sold out in about an hour. lucky for me a placed an order as soon as i saw it.

i have one for me, and two to give to some special friends this christmas.

Ive only read good things about the ZDP189, and am actually contemplating my most expensive knife purchase as I write this...the Konosuke 240mm Gyuto ZDP189 Custom which can be found at that one togo knife place for $1,045.

Now you have me worried. Anyone else know about the ZDP189?

It all depends on the heat treat and usage. I have some experience with a zdp-189 petty (henckels twin cermax) at Hrc 66. Frankly, I love the steel. It takes a very good edge, and it follows that typical powdered steel pattern in which it'll lose "fresh off the stones sharpness" extraordinarily quickly, but it will maintain 85-90% for what seems like an eternity. Sharpening can be a bit of a chore. My knife feels like glass when on the stone (this is probably due to a combination of the steel and the high hardness) and it me about half as long to fully sharpen a knife of comparable size.

I've heard that the steel can be a bit brittle, so if you do get the konosuke, I wouldn't go hacking through bones with it.

Anyways, at the price point of the Konosuke, I believe that there are plenty of better options, like a Marko/Burke/Mario.

t
Anyways, at the price point of the Konosuke, I believe that there are plenty of better options, like a Marko/Burke/Mario.

I am intimidated by the locals :) 1; Ive never tried their knives 2; I am unsure of their pricing 3; I have tried swooping up some of their knives on the BST but am always late. 4; I found this konosuke on another forum for $700+s/h

Ive only read good things about the ZDP189, and am actually contemplating my most expensive knife purchase as I write this...the Konosuke 240mm Gyuto ZDP189 Custom which can be found at that one togo knife place for $1,045.

Now you have me worried. Anyone else know about the ZDP189?

i have not damaged my mine, it is very fine and takes a great edge. Just difficult to sharpen due to the hardness, and a bit too brittle. i mostly have carbon and mild stainless steel knives, so maybe i am just biased.

At the place we shall not speak of the custom 240 ZDP189 is $1045. You could probably get 2 customs from makers here for that price, and obviously they are made to spec whereas the Kono isn't. There's also a few different options for stainless from the guys here and other makers. Are the potential advantages of ZDP worth that much to you?

I am intimidated by the locals :) 1; Ive never tried their knives 2; I am unsure of their pricing 3; I have tried swooping up some of their knives on the BST but am always late. 4; I found this konosuke on another forum for $700+s/h

Konosuke makes nice knives, but at that price range I don't understand the appeal. Get a Martell (prices listed), Marko (prices listed) or be bold and pm / call Devin, Mario, Pierre, Randy, Will, etc. I'm sure they could all make something great with that budget.

+2 on Andrews post. I have the ZDP189 santoku. I use jnat stones and have no issues sharpening it. Can get it super sharp and holds it for a long time. With poor technique, it can be chippy, but I have not really had any issues. I still prefer R2 over it.
I would certainly not buy a 1k + kono, I would jump on a custom. Not sure what PMs they have, but they have some of the different flavors of PM available for their knives.

i've used 189 knives, and they sharpen up just fine on regular stones. never used Cowry, but i doubt it's much different.

sorry, i cant post pictures....

i got three of these from the postman on Friday. Nice. Two for gifts, one for me to play with.

The profile is exactly the same as the ZDP 189 knife. The handle will take some getting used to. I may have the handles redone on both knifes in a matching set up.... who knows. Actually a great beater for travel. it was sharp out of the box, with mess with it later in the month...

Back