Damascus spoons again

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delbert Ealy

Reaction score
Over the past year I have had a few inquiries about doing more damascus spoons. Since I did a spoon run about this time last year, I thought I would do it again this year. I have a few pics here of serving spoons and tasting spoons. I can do teaspoons and fork sets as well. I can also do the Gray Koontz spoons as well. I am also thinking about doing soup spoons too.
Like with last year, a $100 deposit for a start on all spoons. Paypal to [email protected]
Tasting spoons $200
serving spoons $300
Kuntz spoons $275
personal spoon and fork sets $300
soup spoons $175
Thanks,
Del

If you have a spoon project other then those I have listed, please contact me and if it is at all possible for me I will do it.
My objective is to have these completed before christmas.

sp6.jpg

sp5.jpg

sp4.jpg

sp3.jpg

sp2.jpg

sp1.jpg

Np I just bought a Boardsmith board. Just wanting a Kuntz spoon, and my timing sux as usual. When are you expecting to start?

Np I just bought a Boardsmith board. Just wanting a Kuntz spoon, and my timing sux as usual. When are you expecting to start?
I am hoping to have most of my current projects wrapped with a week or so, I expect to start around then. I wasn't planning on closing this one for awhile anyway.
Just let me know when you can swing it, and I'll get you set up.
Thanks,
Del

What's a "Kuntz Spoon" ...sounds dirty...maybe you mean "Grey Kunz"...it could explain the higher cost though...

Just out of curiosity.... thinking about doing another run on these? :D

Del,

Are these spoons stainless and does the metal have any sort of odor to it? I may be interested in a kunz spoon.

-Chuck

Del's thread is from last year, although a little peer pressure might convince him to schedule another batch. I know the ones we bought in 2011 are stainless steel, and they do not have an odor.

Sorry, was showing one of my guys at work some of Del's work and came across this again. Thought I'd put a bug in his ear to see if he would our is considering doing another batch of these. Maybe with enough interest he will, and looking good so far!

I finally got around to taking some pics the other day, only took me 2 years or so, Dells's are great! Since he doesn't heat-treat these I think it would be cool if he did some with a sharp contrasting metal Matrix? That or do a spring tempered batch, just a suggestion.

881D8975-D2F3-4A7C-AF1B-DA0E37B85540-2843-0000038A05EB140C_zps29898986.jpg

0B35FC2D-4838-43F2-A0AC-A9277D4BD4CA-2843-00000389F226B76A_zps0abe70ea.jpg

Yep, that's what I want (I mean Need) right there. Yep, that's the one.

I believe it would be called a roux spoon. And I would love one. Please. Pretty Please. With sugar on top.

Actually I would dig a perforated one too.

I believe it would be called a roux spoon. And I would love one. Please. Pretty Please. With sugar on top.

Actually I would dig a perforated one too.

Learned something new today, thanks. Actually makes sense since I snagged my first one when I lived in New Orleans, however I have never used or seen it used to make roux. Almost 10 years cooking in Louisiana, never seen a standard spoon used, mostly wooden spoons, rubber spatulas (red ones). Just did a Google search and it seems like no one really knows why it's called that, my guess is it goes back to traditional French cuisine and that it got lost in translation/use with the the Louisiana " immigrants".

I use these spoons mostly for cooking, the two of them are what I use instead of tongs, been using them this way for maybe 20 years now?

Just a sidenote I do recall Del telling me they were a PITA to make, something about square shapes not being easy, so I don't know if he'd be inclined to making them again? But it certainly doesn't hurt to ask. Hoss turned me down on this design when I first approached him about making Damascus spoons. Don't know if it was due to the shape being difficult or just that he only wanted to do one type of spoon and felt that Gary's would be more popular. Again I am not sure what it is but it's not easy to get people to make spoons, it took me years to finally get someone to do it.

I would love to do another batch of spoons, I always have a blast doing them even though they can sometimes be a challenge. To give you a bit of background, I use a metal forming die to shape the spoon bowl, a die set that I create myself. Chef Niloc, the major difficulty in making that spoon was creating the die set. These die sets can take up to four days to make, which is a huge investment of time, but once they are finished can make many spoons. I currently have three die sets, one Kuntz, one roux, and one teaspoon. Spoons with perforations are no problem either.
Another consideration is the material the Damascus is made from. I use a soft stainless Damascus I make myself, it takes about the same amount of time to make as the AEBL Damascus I make for knives, but with this Damascus I don't have to harden the steel to make it stainless, and using this mix allows me to cut the finishing time in half. This is the main reason I can offer them at the prices I do.
I do have quite a few paring knives to make still to make, and when I get finished with those, I think it will be time to do some more spoons. I may even add another die design.
Thanks,
Del

I would love to do another batch of spoons, I always have a blast doing them even though they can sometimes be a challenge. To give you a bit of background, I use a metal forming die to shape the spoon bowl, a die set that I create myself. Chef Niloc, the major difficulty in making that spoon was creating the die set. These die sets can take up to four days to make, which is a huge investment of time, but once they are finished can make many spoons. I currently have three die sets, one Kuntz, one roux, and one teaspoon. Spoons with perforations are no problem either.
Another consideration is the material the Damascus is made from. I use a soft stainless Damascus I make myself, it takes about the same amount of time to make as the AEBL Damascus I make for knives, but with this Damascus I don't have to harden the steel to make it stainless, and using this mix allows me to cut the finishing time in half. This is the main reason I can offer them at the prices I do.
I do have quite a few paring knives to make still to make, and when I get finished with those, I think it will be time to do some more spoons. I may even add another die design.
Thanks,
Del

This is awesome!! When this starts up if you guys don't see me posting in the thread someone please send me an email or call me and make sure I'm still alive, don't want to miss out.

Wildboar has been asking for a couple of years for me to do a teaspoon and tablespoon measuring set out of my ss Damascus, maybe this is the year to do it, along with a bunch of other spoons. Now that ive mentioned it, I guess there are my new dies to make.
I am as excited about this as you guys are, I don't even have one of these for myself. Maybe I can sneak one in for myself this year. :viking:
Thanks,
Del

Wildboar has been asking for a couple of years for me to do a teaspoon and tablespoon measuring set out of my ss Damascus, maybe this is the year to do it, along with a bunch of other spoons. Now that ive mentioned it, I guess there are my new dies to make.
I am as excited about this as you guys are, I don't even have one of these for myself. Maybe I can sneak one in for myself this year. :viking:
Thanks,
Del

The thing with measuring spoons is that a spring temper would be a very useful addition. I think my roux spoon might be a hit for you his time. Does your die allow for a longer spoon?

The thing with measuring spoons is that a spring temper would be a very useful addition. I think my roux spoon might be a hit for you his time. Does your die allow for a longer spoon?

It allows for a longer handle, the die is only for forming the bowl.
Is it mainly in the handle that you would like the springiness? I may be able to work that into the process.
Thanks,
Del

Back