• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

F/S Hall's ProEdge surgical black Arkansas

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Surgical Black Arkansas is one of the finest grades of abrasives available today. Most commonly used for industrial applications where an extremely fine polish is required.

The stone measures 8" x 3" by 1" thick, which provides an elevated work surface for ease of use, and comes with a custom wooden box for storage.

NIB, $70 includes insured shipping within CONUS and PayPal fees.

file-15.jpg

file-14.jpg

file-12.jpg

We talking "razor fine"? How would you compare this to Japanese grits? I'm interested...maybe :)

We talking "razor fine"? How would you compare this to Japanese grits? I'm interested...maybe :)

The surgical black is roughly equivalent to JIS 5000, so for razors it would be a bridge stone for a transition to a higher grit like a Naniwa SS 12k or Shapton Pro 15k or to a loaded strop.

Boar D. Laze (BDL) has an excellent discussion of Arkansas stones on his blog: http://www.cookfoodgood.com/?p=21

I bought this for razor use, but acquired a Shapton Pro 15k before I had a chance to use it.

From what I've read, it would be an excellent polisher for ODC.

I have two black arks,one is close to 6k, the other seems more like a 8 to 10 k grit. Great stones. Nice grab Pierre

Been looking for a black arks for a bit now. Found lots of smaller ones, a few bigger, but they were thin. I here there are some translucent ones out there, that intrigues me.

I have an Arky translucent that makes crazy high polish. It is finer than my shobudani asagi. It makes a finer polish than anything than I have used. They are not all the same!

I'm glad this went. I would have been sorely tempted. :)

Back