Need (Pros) Volunteers To Test MT Yanagi in 52100

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,
I would like to get a private feedback on a prototype yanagi I ground. Sushi bar chefs would be given a preference. If interested, shoot me a PM.

I will do a yanagi pass-around later on, but for now I need a feedback for a current grind, weight, performance, etc. I will incorporate the feedback in prototype 2.0.

This knife has same HT as my other knives, so I am curious how people will find single-bevel 52100 with a good wear resistance and sharpness to compare to yanagis from Japanese makers.

Thanks,

M

Got one down. There is still room folks, jump in! Pics of the yanagi coming tomorrow.

I am including a honesuki here as well, as both are true single bevel knives and both will be tested for a private feedback before I will attempt a prototype 2.0 of each sometimes in the 2013.

My goal for this project is to make a knife that will offer a superior wear resistance and edge stability (no chipping), while maintaining sharpness needed for protein cutting. These will be in 62.5-63.5RC hardness and in 52100 steel.

Also, there is something new to lean when trying a new grind. Sometimes it is like walking in a dark room - you need to bump your head against objects you don't see to get a better understanding where they are and how to get around them next time. I think I have learned already a few things I didn't know and that in itself is a good thing.

I have several pros interested both knives. Will be in touch over the weekend.

Thanks,

M

PS: Yanagi still needs a little work, so ignore for now unrounded spine and choil and not very fine finish on the bevel.

DSC_0499.jpg

DSC_0498.jpg

View attachment 11676

DSC_0500.jpg

View attachment 11675

View attachment 11674

Those look amazing. Beautiful work Marko.

I got a few people interested, so thanks to everybody who contacted me.

Have you considered asking Jon at JKI to check it out? If he would, I bet he'd have helpful suggestions.

Have you considered asking Jon at JKI to check it out? If he would, I bet he'd have helpful suggestions.

This time, I am only considering pros - the knife has to be used on a line for several shifts.
Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

M

Looks great Marko! Those single bevels are a whole new beast eh? I have been having fun with some.

I am done with single-bevel knives (well, maybe do a miroshi after the New Year), till I get a feedback from the field.

Yep, they are a new beast, particularly in monosteels.

M

Did you find your testers alright or still working on the knives.?

Latest posts

Back