Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need (Pros) Volunteers To Test MT Yanagi in 52100

Need (Pros) Volunteers To Test MT Yanagi in 52100

Hi Folks,
    I would like to get a private feedback on a prototype yanagi I ground. Sushi bar chefs would be given a preference. If interested, shoot me a PM.

I will do a yanagi pass-around later on, but for now I need a feedback for a current grind, weight, performance, etc. I will incorporate the feedback in prototype 2.0.

This knife has same HT as my other knives, so I am curious how people will find single-bevel 52100 with a good wear resistance and sharpness to compare to yanagis from Japanese makers.

Thanks,

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Got one down. There is still room folks, jump in! Pics of the yanagi coming tomorrow.

Count me in if you will please.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Pictures

I am including a honesuki here as well, as both are true single bevel knives and both will be tested for a private feedback before I will attempt a prototype 2.0 of each sometimes in the 2013.

My goal for this project is to make a knife that will offer a superior wear resistance and edge stability (no chipping), while maintaining sharpness needed for protein cutting. These will be in 62.5-63.5RC hardness and in 52100 steel.

Also, there is something new to lean when trying a new grind. Sometimes it is like walking in a dark room - you need to bump your head against objects you don't see to get a better understanding where they are and how to get around them next time. I think I have learned already a few things I didn't know and that in itself is a good thing.

I have several pros interested both knives. Will be in touch over the weekend.

Thanks,

M

PS: Yanagi still needs a little work, so ignore for now unrounded spine and choil and not very fine finish on the bevel.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0499.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	22.6 KB 
ID:	11678

Name:	DSC_0498.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	11677

Name:	DSC_0495.jpg 
Size:	23.8 KB 
ID:	11676

Name:	DSC_0500.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	11673

Name:	DSC_0494.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	11675

Name:	DSC_0493.jpg 
Size:	23.0 KB 
ID:	11674

I'd be more than happy to give 'em a go if you feel comfortable with a trans-Pacific voyage. Could get a small group of local guys together.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Those look amazing. Beautiful work Marko.

I got a few people interested, so thanks to everybody who contacted me.

Have you considered asking Jon at JKI to check it out? If he would, I bet he'd have helpful suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by heirkb View Post
    Have you considered asking Jon at JKI to check it out? If he would, I bet he'd have helpful suggestions.
    This time, I am only considering pros - the knife has to be used on a line for several shifts.
    Thanks for the suggestion, though.

M

Looks great Marko! Those single bevels are a whole new beast eh? I have been having fun with some.