Quantcast
videos- whats next
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: videos- whats next

videos- whats next

So, clearly i've been on a video making binge lately. A while back, i had made a punch list of videos i wanted to get through and i finally found some time to do them. The only ones i havent gotten done yet are as follows:
    -stropping (newspaper, stones, etc)
    -basic problem repairs (broken tip, major chips, re-profiling, etc.)
    -discussion on patina (specifically the general view on patinas in japan among professional chefs versus home cooks)

Thats it on my list for now. I know i ask you guys all the time, but is there anything you guys feel is missing? I looked this morning and my knife sharpening playlist alone is almost 2.5 hours long. It probably has to be the most comprehensive series of videos on the subject at this point (at least online).

So, what do you guys feel is missing? What about videos you'd like to see me re-shoot?

-Jon

What do you think about demonstrating how to straighten a bent blade using a Japanese straightening stick. I know it seems pretty straight forward but maybe there is some more to it. Not sure if you have any bent blades on hand but might be interesting for some.

thought about it, but i've shown a few people and the potential for messing stuff up severely is pretty big

The straightening video does sound useful. At least for the cheaper blades/practice blades a lot of us may come across. You could have a big disclaimer with it.

This suggestion may be tough to show in a video, but some video on getting the most barebones/decently even kasumi finish would be cool. Especially for knives like Heijis where you could polish both sides and the backside seems much harder to polish evenly.

So, what do you guys feel is missing? What about videos you'd like to see me re-shoot?

Sharpening fo the long suji(270-300) from #400 to microbevel.

and good video with Deba's microbevels.

Any chance you might do some on prepping actual foods? Proper deba use, honesuki on a chicken, or sashimi slicing?

Quote Originally Posted by pitonboy View Post
    Proper deba use, honesuki on a chicken, or sashimi slicing?
    +1, +1, +1. And a beginner tutorial on Katsuramuki?

There is a lot of youtube and other material on these tasks being well executed (Theory's are in my favorite list) but very little on step by step technique.

A good addition to your sharpening library would address common mistakes, (edges to thin and chipping off comes right to mind...). I'm sure you get to see and fix a lot of sharpening mistakes that could be avoided.

Regards,

Dave
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Slipped off the keeper list. Back on.
    Dave
    Older and wider.

I haven't looked at all of your videos but I know I still struggle with sharpening tips. If there are any of your videos focusing on this I'd love a look and if not maybe make one.