Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Deer meat?

What to do with Deer meat?

I don't have much experience cooking deer...what I (think I) know is that it's very lean, which suggest that fast-n-hot methods are best....I don't have any experience cooking lean meat with lots of connective tissues though-thinking about cuts from the shoulder areas in particular. I'd think that you'd have to lard it somehow for those cuts to cook long enough to breakdown the connective tissues.

In the past I've done stir-fry, stews (a little dry), and chili (ground meat).

Any ideas?
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Jerky.

doh! forgot about that! I haven't made it before, but I've definitely eaten it. Good stuff.

Got a recipe handy?

Do you have the whole thing? We just grilled a front leg and shoulder two weeks ago. Use a wood fire, put a nice char on the outside and leave it rare next to the bone - delicious. The back straps can be treated like any loin, tender loin, but lends itself to fast & hot cooking. The hind quarters post a different problem as the rump is a large group of muscles. I took a rump a few weeks ago and made a bacon weave to wrap it in then cooked it slow on the grill using indirect heat. I trimmed as much tendon as I could before wrapping it.

We used to just take thin slices (backstrap if we could get it!), dredge it in flour, salt, pepper, and garlic powder, and fry it until just done through. A little cayenne would be good, too. For tougher pieces you could make cube(d?) steak and cook it the same way. We just ate it without any additions, but sauteeing some onions and mushrooms in the pan and making some milk gravy would probably go pretty well with it.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

I totally forgot about the dredge-n-fry prep...I had that some as a kid, been a while though.

Good ideas, thanks Lucretia!

Chili. Spaghetti. I used to make some awesome cheese steak sandwiches with thin cut tender loins.

-AJ

ooooohhh...cheese-steak sammies! great idea!

Depends on the cut(s) you have. Loins, backstrap or inner loin, treat like tenderloin. Most excellent marinated, grilled then sauced. Chasseur (hunter) sauce is a favorite here. Leg quarters I like to have made into sausage. Processors open for deer season that do this. Roasts, Chili, Jerky or burger are also tasty options for quarters. Treat like chuck roast. I've never had good results steaking the quarters. Good luck!
    Dave
    Older and wider.

Dave, do you have a recipe for Hunter Sauce that you like?