First Tip Repair....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zwiefel

Reaction score
It's just a Wusthoff Culinaire...but here's my first tip repair for a friend:

Before + After.jpg

I didn't think I would be able to do anywhere near this decently. Pleased with myself today...one part of 3 hours and 8 knives. Trying to continue to build skills.

Great job Z! Did you attack it from the spine or the edge?

nice work, i dont even know where to begin if i did that, next week i will get my stones bought and sit down for an afternoon and learn as i go on some garbage blades

KnifeKnerd: from the edge...on the Gesshin 400. It really didn't take that much work with this soft+thin steel. Super pleased with the profile I created though. The owner is going to be really happy.

Notaskinnychef: That's a good plan. Not sure what your background is, but I'd hold off on getting a coarse stone until you build a bit of experience with a 1-5k first. That's what I did anyway.

Mari: Thanks! Yup, 8 knives: 2 paring, 3 boning, 3 chefs, 1 slicer....guess it was 9 actually! Most of them were inexpensive Chicago Cutlery and Wusthoff Culinaire knives...nothing special, but good experience for me...and hopefully the owner's will actually be able to cut something with these now (really awful condition, basically w/o an edge).

Nice job! That is a bizarre tip chip. Don't be afraid next time to grind the spine down a little to keep the tip height the same. Of course, on this knife, and with this strange horizontal chip, it hardly matters.

heh...well....it was fairly harshly abused. They tried to open a can of tomatoes with it. <sigh>

I wasn't even thinking about the tip height! I was trying to remove the minimal amount of material to restore a functional tip. I was super pleased I actually ended up with a fairly standard profile. That's a good tip for the next time though, thanks Eamon!

Nice job! That is a bizarre tip chip. Don't be afraid next time to grind the spine down a little to keep the tip height the same. Of course, on this knife, and with this strange horizontal chip, it hardly matters.

+1

I've had to fix a couple of chipped tips, and learned the hard way. It's better to grind from the spine down than from the edge up. This may reduce the length of the blade in some cases, but it will better preserve the original geometry (especailly the edge) of the knife and keep the tip lower. If you start grinding from the edge, your changing the geometry of the edge and how it contacts the board. If the tip already has a lot of curve to it (like most western knives), it may not matter as much.

That makes sense...I'd guess that this profile has more belly than the original, but i dont really know.

I was focused on removing as little steel as possible to restore a credible profile. Next time ill pay more attention to crafting the profile and tip placement.

These kinds of comments are why I'm a fan of this forum!

Nice repair it feels good to accomplish that I know. The more you do the easier it is to see what needs to be done.

Anybody else trying to figure out what kind of knife this is? I've never seen this profile with the German makers.

I would think that many here that sharpen other's knives have seen major tip breaks.I like going fr. the spine,keeping as much blade edge as poss.It's better to have the spine dip,I've had some look like Santoku,making a direct arch to the edge.Use a belt & H2O.

Good job on your first tip repair:)

+1
with sandpaper in the P120-700 I cut a straight line from the spin at 30 to 60 degree til I reach the edge. Depending on my mood I decide to restore the spine curve or not. If the tip is too low that may be easily corrected later on with sharpening.

Anybody else trying to figure out what kind of knife this is? I've never seen this profile with the German makers.

~3" Wusthoff Culinaire.

+1
with sandpaper in the P120-700 I cut a straight line from the spin at 30 to 60 degree til I reach the edge. Depending on my mood I decide to restore the spine curve or not. If the tip is too low that may be easily corrected later on with sharpening.

That's an interesting approach. Kinda-sorta like a kiritsuke tip?

Back