sad news

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
I was just reading through some forums before going to sleep and i saw on FF that someone had posted a new thread "sad news"... as i read through it i couldnt belive it... the guy was saying that my friend KCMA who many of you know had died this past week... i had literally just talked to him days before. i couldnt believe it... i called his phone and then checked on facebook... its for real. I dont know how many of you really knew him, but we had worked together and had become good friends over the years... he just got married and sara and i met his wife for the first time the week we got back from japan. he had an adorable kid (who is growing up much faster than i can believe) and was working on opening his own place here in LA. i just thought some of you might want to know since it was such a surprise to me.

Its unfortunate to hear, and Ive just been noticing lately that a lot of people on the forums I visit are either passing away or getting hurt pretty bad. Bad trend. Hope ya'll have a safe and joyful holiday season.

That is sad news, indeed. He certainly had his own opinions, but I always appreciated his thoughts and contributions, although I have not been very active on FF recently. My thoughts are with his family.

Stefan

In a ******* motorcycle accident. That absolutely sucks...especially when there are so many other rat bastards walking around that don't deserve the life they have. Probably wasn't even his fault. I'm cracking a new bottle tonight.

Wow...that's awful news. KC always kept me laughing and learning. He taught me a lot about what you can do with very little, when it comes to knives, among other things. All that really matters, though, is we lost a friend of the community, and his family is now without him. My thoughts are with his family and friends.

I guess this is a terrible way for us to be reminded to reach out to our friends who we haven't spoken to in too long, just like you and Sara did. I'm glad you had a chance to meet his wife and see him before his passing.

KC was like Corvette: brash, in your face, amazingly fun to watch, fast moving, well-loved and an absolute classic. He will be missed.

Woah.............................Woah,.................KC and I always had an interesting relationship. Never met the man but he was a fellow cook/asS$ kicker/brother. One forum member I would have loved to meet.

I'll be thinking about him when I'm on the line this week. That will be my memorial. I think he'd like that.

When I first became aware of Japanese knives KCMA impressed me as one of the few guys who didn't tolerate fools and walked the walk as a chef and a guy with exceptional knife skills and knowledge. I regretted never getting to his place when he was briefly working (huge hours) in NYC.

My deepest condolences to his wife and kid.

Wow man i had also many discussions with him in past at FF, what a nice guy

Really a sad day !!

For those of us who have been hanging around the forums for a few years it was hard to miss a post by KCMA. I have only my imagination as to who this guy was but his passing reminds me that behind the online personality is a guy with a family and friends... Today, my thoughts are with them.

kcma was awesome. One of the things I liked about him was that even though he was so knowledgeable, he always respected other people's opinions and even when people were arguing with him and were clearly wrong, he always took the high road. I always hoped he would post here someday

Boy that is heavy. KC was real fun to deal with, he always had great posts and ideas.

That is terrible news, KC was a good guy he will be missed. Reminds me to drop in on old forums once in awhile.

Wow. That's horribly sad news indeed. Although he was a bit brash, I always thought his posts were a lot of fun and full of great info and ideas. I always wanted to catch up with him the next time I was in So Cal.

Oh man that is sad news. KC was one of those guys who always spoke his truths and I respected that. He'll be missed.

Had the chance to chat with him only a couple of times. Classy guy. He'll be missed.

KC, Jon and I had so many promises, and I'm really sad that he went before a lot of them came true - we were supposed to go out with him and Ivy for ramen and other restaurants, eat at his future restaurants, etc. He asked me to help Ivy shop clothing, and I haven't even made time to do that.

He was always a man full of stories - sometimes funny, sometimes irritating (you know how sarcastic he was), and sometimes really exciting and happy ones. We will always miss his phone calls, chat on FB, and dropping by to say hi to us. He was one of the best things left for Jon from the professional cooking world - I really think he exemplified what cooking was all about (not that I mean I was a chef/cook, but I thought so). More than anything else, he was always, without a single failure, cheerful around us, and supportive of us. He knew how much of a "pain" Jon is to work with, and he always took my side.

We'll miss you KC - if your spirit is allowed to travel around for just a little while, I hope you would come say hi again.

RIP

Shocking news.

How many people picked up Aritsugu gyutos, and spent hours on DMT XXC plate, thinning them out, because of KCMA?

People might have been aware of Tadatsuna, but KCMA put them on the map.

All the stones, he found and purchased, trying to find the best one, at each level.

One of his tests, to show good knife skills, was shaving a large bunch of chives.

Rest in Peace.

Jay

Really sad news. Condolences to KC's wife and his family.
Always enjoyed reading KC's posts and would check FF to find out what KC was posting.
Will think of KC whenever I shave chives.

Last edited:
I found his old forum posts to be extremely helpful and educational when i first became interested in japanese knives. He will be missed. RIP

That's really sad to read. My heart goes out to his family.

Sad to hear, though I have no idea who he was. But so many of you seem moved. That's nice.

-AJ

Jon, do you know what his YouTube account name was? I'd like to see those chive cutting vids again.

Back