Quantcast
Why should the handle angle upwards?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why should the handle angle upwards?

Why should the handle angle upwards?

I know the profile is supposed to narrow and the heel and spine aren't parallel, but why should the handle angle upwards?

Seems counterintuitive, and most people, including me, don't get it. Is it because our poor uninformed technique?

What about proper cutting and technique makes the upwards angle good? Pinch grip and proper movement?

Thanks!

What knifes are we talking about here?
    I do not remember seeing a Japanese knife that does not have the tang in line with the spine.

You mean when the edge is flat on the board and the handle angles upwards? I'd say it's for knuckle clearance.

it's for improved knuckle clearance.

It fits your palm better, too.

It shouldn't.

Your question is unclear. I think you should post a diagram of what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    Your question is unclear. I think you should post a diagram of what you're saying.
    He's referring to the handle being tilted like in the Shun Alton's angle knives. A lot of people prefer a less drastic version of that because it gives them knuckle clearance. If my knife already has a very triangular profile (the spine and edge at the heel are angled towards each other rather than parallel), I don't like an upwards handle, because it actually hurts my wrist.

If that's the case. I don't like it either. It looks crappy and it only helps if you've got sausages for fingers or you're trying to use too small a knife.

I was referring to the triangular profile of the knife, and how if the edge is on the board, the handle will have a slight angle up, instead of being parallel to the board.

I've been told that this is a characteristic of a good knife, but I've never understood the reasoning behind it. What about the triangular shape makes the profile "good", and thinking in terms of the handle, is it just for knuckle clearance?