Quantcast
Gyuto Help
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gyuto Help

Gyuto Help

Hi all

Have been trying to convince myself to buy a Masamoto KS 240 Gyuto for some time now but I am worried it may feel too similar to my Tadatsuna 240 Inox
    I know the steels are different, I am looking for something from JCK (Shipping reasonable and no VAT) a bit heavier than the Tad

I have both, so give me a while to take some comparison pics and measurements. Is there anything in particular you'd like me to check?

Thanks for the fast response
    There's nothing in particular just looking for a WA 240 with a bit more "heft" than the Tad

The two are pretty similar knives. The Masamoto has a wee bit thicker spine (2.80mm vs 2.25mm), and is longer 250mm edge vs 232mm edge), but I'd say that it wasn't very much "heftier" than a Tadatsuna (156g vs 134g). In use, there really isn't much difference.

You're pretty limited in selection from JCK, but you may want to look at the Kagayaki Aogami Super Custom Damascus series. I had a chance to handle one several months ago and it may be what you are looking for. I wrote this review at the time:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...a-gyuto-Review

Here's a link to it on JCK:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KA...akiAogamiSuper

Spine (Tadatsuna on left)

Profile (Tadatsuna on top)

The KS is a nice knife when you get a good one. There's a quite a bit of variability on that one. Still, there's not a whole lot of knives that combine that profile with that thinness. For what it's worth, I don't think they feel all that similar in use.

I have owned both knives as well. They are very different in many ways.

If you're looking for heft and a beautiful, soulful knife, try Watanabe.

Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    The KS is a nice knife when you get a good one. There's a quite a bit of variability on that one. Still, there's not a whole lot of knives that combine that profile with that thinness. For what it's worth, I don't think they feel all that similar in use.
    I've never heard of a lemon KS. Mine is extremely well made.

the one i owned briefly was way too thick behind the edge. other than that i was satified. just curious, what was some of the bad stuff youve seen from masamoto ks lemons? CMU, have you considered getting a Mizuno from JCK?

I just got my carbonext from jck today and their service and shipping was stellar. No further taxes or fees aside from their astoundingly cheap 7 dollar shipping fee.

As for the blades, never used either, just thought I'd chime in on jck experience

+ Reply to Thread