Gyuto Help

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmu

Reaction score
Hi all

Have been trying to convince myself to buy a Masamoto KS 240 Gyuto for some time now but I am worried it may feel too similar to my Tadatsuna 240 Inox
I know the steels are different, I am looking for something from JCK (Shipping reasonable and no VAT) a bit heavier than the Tad

Thanks for the fast response
There's nothing in particular just looking for a WA 240 with a bit more "heft" than the Tad

The two are pretty similar knives. The Masamoto has a wee bit thicker spine (2.80mm vs 2.25mm), and is longer 250mm edge vs 232mm edge), but I'd say that it wasn't very much "heftier" than a Tadatsuna (156g vs 134g). In use, there really isn't much difference.

You're pretty limited in selection from JCK, but you may want to look at the Kagayaki Aogami Super Custom Damascus series. I had a chance to handle one several months ago and it may be what you are looking for. I wrote this review at the time:

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/1146-Kagayaki-Aogami-Super-24cm-Wa-gyuto-Review

Here's a link to it on JCK:

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/KAGAYAKIAogamiSuperSeries.html#KagayakiAogamiSuper

Spine (Tadatsuna on left)
file-8.jpg

Profile (Tadatsuna on top)
file-7.jpg

file-6.jpg

The KS is a nice knife when you get a good one. There's a quite a bit of variability on that one. Still, there's not a whole lot of knives that combine that profile with that thinness. For what it's worth, I don't think they feel all that similar in use.

I have owned both knives as well. They are very different in many ways.

If you're looking for heft and a beautiful, soulful knife, try Watanabe.

The KS is a nice knife when you get a good one. There's a quite a bit of variability on that one. Still, there's not a whole lot of knives that combine that profile with that thinness. For what it's worth, I don't think they feel all that similar in use.
I've never heard of a lemon KS. Mine is extremely well made.

the one i owned briefly was way too thick behind the edge. other than that i was satified. just curious, what was some of the bad stuff youve seen from masamoto ks lemons? CMU, have you considered getting a Mizuno from JCK?

I just got my carbonext from jck today and their service and shipping was stellar. No further taxes or fees aside from their astoundingly cheap 7 dollar shipping fee.

As for the blades, never used either, just thought I'd chime in on jck experience

I was going to suggest Mizuno also. Keep in mind they run short. About 223 cutting edge on a 240.

P.S. I really like my KS

There aren't a massive number of options from JCK really. I think I have bought everything I will from there. Have you thought about Maxim? He's in Denmark so shipping should be pretty cheap and you won't have to pay Import Fees and all that, he has a lot of nice Yoshikanes

I was recently considering a 270 mizuno blue myself. Does anyone know if the profile/geometry has changed recently? I recall the pic on JCK being different a while back, now it looks ground more like a heiji or konosuke fujiyama.

Cheers,
Josh

They're putting on a faux bevel in the finishing. I have no idea why. As far as I know the geometry is the same.

Hmmm, odd. Maybe they're taking a leaf out of Sugimoto's book :D

Cheers for the info, Salty.

Josh

The Mizuno akitada hontanren and Konosuke Fujiyama Blue look like twins...

Has it gained height at the heel as well as a new bevel? The recently posted suminagashi at JCK looks like the "old" Miz with its distinctive torpedo-like profile...

Back