Thread: Taking the Plunge (another what to buy thread)

Taking the Plunge (another what to buy thread)

What type of knife(s) do you think you want?​

I'm looking mostly for a chef's/gyuto, but I'm also interested in a smaller, petty-style knife.

Why is it being purchased? What, if anything, are you replacing?

I've been mulling over upgrading from the Forschner/Victorinox gift set (Chef's/Slicer/Paring) that I got last year for a while (I'll probably keep the 10" Chefs as a heavy-duty knife in case I need to smack anyone upside the head). I got the opportunity to use a friend's K-Sab chef's knife and almost snuck it home with me. I did some quick research and came close to buying a 10" Nogent but decided to take a breath and ask for some opinions.

What grip do you use?

Pinch

What kind of cutting motion do you use?

Push-cut

Where do you store them?

Currently in a bag with some edge-protectors. A block doesn't really make sense to me without enough knives to make it worthwhile, and I'm lacking in wall-space to put anything up. I'm moving in a few months, though, and will most likely use a wooden magnetic strip there.

Have you ever oiled a handle?

No, but I haven't needed to either

What kind of cutting board(s) do you use?

Wood, though not end grain. Like the knife-storage question above, I'm resisting making a purchase like that until I have a better idea of the space I'll have in my future kitchen.

For edge maintenance, do you use a strop, honing rod, pull through/other, or nothing?

Generally a honing rod before every use and periodically during, and I've got an Apex that was handed down to me that I use every month or so.

What is your budget?

I'm thinking somewhere in the $100-$150 range per knife. I'm wary of buying "too much knife", but at the same time I know that an inferior tool can harm the growth of technique as much as a good tool can help it.

What do you cook and how often?

Generally a few times a week, though it's been less lately as my schedule has gotten busier. I tend to go through phases, but lately I've just been flipping through old cookbooks until something catches my fancy.

Special requests(Country of origin/type of wood/etc)?

As I said above, I came close to buying a few Nogents and letting that be that. I still probably will (I'm a sucker for anything with a history), but part of me recognizes that Japanese is probably the most sensible way to go. I'm open to anything though!

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Welcome welcome!

So, about $300 for a nice gyuto & petty/paring setup. Looks like you don't mind going with carbon steel, so that'll open up quite a few options. I'm a little out of the loop on new offerings on the market right now, but I think there are a lot of good choices for you. I'll leave it the folks who have more hands-on experience with the new entrants to the mix to give you detailed opinions and suggestions
    Len

You could go with carbon or semi-stainless but I think it's more sensible to go with stainless. I would recommend Suisin Inox western, assuming you want a western handle. I really have a hard time recommending anything else over this knife. It just cuts great, takes a beating and looks good, too. Runners up are CarboNEXT and possibly Togiharu. If you are interested in wa handles, the options grow quite a bit but pretty much anything we talk about here is going to be a major upgrade from Forschners.

The more I think about it, the more I'm leaning towards a wa-handled stainless. At some point down the road, I'll probably add a carbon Sab of some sort to my set, but I think I'd rather get more comfortable with a better knife before jumping in on carbon as well (baby-steps, right?).

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    welcome!

Check out the Gesshin Uraku line at Japanese Knife Imports.

Greetings!
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right