Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: European knives ?

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Carter is Canadian born
    so that's why i keep hearing a canadian accent on his videos. clears that up for me.
    Much more pleasant, isn't it!

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    i know this may be a little off topic but does anyone else wish one of the sabatier brands made chef knife with a hitachi steel(or something similar) hardened to rockwell 61 or so?
    The Hitachi steels (particularly white) are nothing special and I mean that in a good way. They are simple high-carbon steels. You can find equivalents in every country/continent. 1095 (or C90) is very close to Hitachi white.

The older Sabatiers have very fine grain structure and high(er) hardness. There are many custom French smiths who work with C50-C100 steels and make beautiful custom chef's knives for prices much lower than their North American equivalents (i'm not divulging, yet).

But I agree with you insofar that I wish there was a contemporary Sabatier production knife that used a higher grade steel although the simple carbon steel they use isn't bad by any stretch, and will stand up to the abuse of cutting through rib bones better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian View Post
    The Hitachi steels (particularly white) are nothing special and I mean that in a good way. They are simple high-carbon steels. You can find equivalents in every country/continent. 1095 (or C90) is very close to Hitachi white.

The older Sabatiers have very fine grain structure and high(er) hardness. There are many custom French smiths who work with C50-C100 steels and make beautiful custom chef's knives for prices much lower than their North American equivalents (i'm not divulging, yet).

But I agree with you insofar that I wish there was a contemporary Sabatier production knife that used a higher grade steel although the simple carbon steel they use isn't bad by any stretch, and will stand up to the abuse of cutting through rib bones better than most.
    +1 I love my vintage sabs. The steel is pretty great in my opinion. It gets nearly as keen as my ( japanese/ japanese( swedish ) carbon steel knives and is no more reactive than the white and blue steel knives I've used. Also I've been able to get away with simply stropping on the chocera 5k that I leave at work rather than steeling when an edge decides to become less than true and it works fantastically.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Fed View Post
    +1 I love my vintage sabs. The steel is pretty great in my opinion. It gets nearly as keen as my ( japanese/ japanese( swedish ) carbon steel knives and is no more reactive than the white and blue steel knives I've used. Also I've been able to get away with simply stropping on the chocera 5k that I leave at work rather than steeling when an edge decides to become less than true and it works fantastically.
    +1!!
    It's quite unlikely the French will ever change the hardness; they have to serve a large domestic market used to frequent steeling.
    If you're looking for harder steel, go Japanese. Their profile is almost identical to the French.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    +1!!
    It's quite unlikely the French will ever change the hardness; they have to serve a large domestic market used to frequent steeling.
    If you're looking for harder steel, go Japanese. Their profile is almost identical to the French.
    Masamoto KS gyuto is the closest (in my experience) equivalent in terms of profile if you don't mind the -wa handle.

In addition to all of the comments above about the less expensive knives that get discussed here, I'd encourage you to check out the Buy/Sell/Trade forum. Frequently you can get an expertly cared-for knife used at 40-60% of the new price...and they'll usually give it a professional edge before they ship it out. This makes it possible to get some REALLY good knives for $50 or so....which is wal-mart/target pricing for henckels/wusthoff level knives.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I am amazed how such a simple question brought up such a vast amount of knowledge and information.

But then I guess this is what this forum is about.

Thanks

Joel

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Wusthof Classic 9 inch knife: $139.95 http://www.cutleryandmore.com/wustho...fs-knife-p1603

Suisin Inox Western 9 1/2 inch knife: $143.75 http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/...0mm-gyuto.html

Several well respected members here have openly recommended the Suisin. Not "high end gear" as far as price, but high end as far as quality is concerned.

Ask a few questions, e.g. type of knife you're looking for, size, price range, type of steel, Japanese vs. Western handle, without being dismissive. I think you'll be surprised by the number of positive responses you'll get.

If you pay attention to Anthony Bordains "Mind of a Chef", David Chang is a Suisin knut

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    ...or anything made by cck. priced similar to forschners but a helluva better bargain.
    I dont have one I want one, but I dont have one. I have many others, and CCK is very affordable. Maybe when I get my Amazon gift card for christmas