Quantcast
Mac and Cheese help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mac and Cheese help

Mac and Cheese help

My kids love this stuff, of course. Best I've had was in NO. Please give me some ideas.

Hoss

Thread on Mac & Cheese here in What's Cooking. The no boil recipe was pretty dandy. Easy and minimal cleanup, too.
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Thanks, I missed that one.

Hoss

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Personally I love to make mac and cheese with cave aged gruyere cheese. It turns out AMAZING.

Quote Originally Posted by quantumcloud509 View Post
    Personally I love to make mac and cheese with cave aged gruyere cheese. It turns out AMAZING.
    My wife made some a couple weeks ago. She used a sharp white cheddar and the gruyere too. I ate that up.

Thanks for the help. This is what we call happy food.

Hoss

People thinks I am nuts when I say this but some thin slice smoked mettwurst or kielbasa and some green peas mixed in is fantastic.....

If I don't say so myself I make a damn good mac and cheese. So good it needs to be protected most of the time. Just about everyone I have fed with mine says it's the best they have ever had.

First off, there are no rules. Put in the stuff you and your kids like eat.

My tips:

*Lots of caramelized onions. Cook them low and slow in animal fat for best results. It will be almost like onion jam if done right.

*Bacon is always good. Crisp up some lardons and use the fat for the onions. (Ham or some sort of smoked sausage will work too. Hempler's Andouille is divine.)

*1-1-1 for your base sauce. 1 Tablespoon of butter - 1 tablespoon of flour - 1 cup of half and half. Make it a pale roux low heat 3-4 minutes then add the liquid, make as much as you need to make the batch. 3 works good for a pound of pasta.

*Use good cheese, the kind you like to eat. Good cheese will let you use half a cup of shredded cheese to each 1-1-1 you used for the sauce. Then top with more shredded cheese use the amount that looks right to you before bake.

*Cook the pasta for 75% of the package al-dente cook time.

*Use a shallower baking dish, it makes more surface area and that gives more nice crunchy bits after baking. 375F for about 30 minutes is usually good enough. Sometimes it takes a bit longer or not as long.

Hope that helps a little.

Quote Originally Posted by bear1889 View Post
    People thinks I am nuts when I say this but some thin slice smoked mettwurst or kielbasa and some green peas mixed in is fantastic.....
    Where are you that you know what mettwurst is and obviously can even buy it?

Stefan

Two words...Shropshire Blue.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter