Quantcast
Wa or Yo Handles?
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wa or Yo Handles?

Wa or Yo Handles?

All of this talk about a certain knife and recent "hot knives", has me wondering - on a gyuto, do you prefer a Wa or Yo handle?
    I, so far only own Yo handled gyutos, but I do have a Wa handled 'pettysuki' on the way.
    What do you guys prefer and WHY?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Like Chad Ward I grab my wa when I feel sporty.
    Anyway: You gotta have both, but yo is often more expensive and popular than wa

I use yo 70% and wa 30%

The only handle that you should use , Is that which suits you the best. As far as the qus about me. I love using yo handles.

I'm a wa handle fan. They look better and feel better to me. However, I'll go with yo handle for anything that I might handle with grimy hands - like my garasuki, for example.

Personally, because I have sm-med hands, I prefer yo handles overall and especially on larger knives. I find the wa handles on larger knives too long and unwieldy for my taste. I don't mind wa handles at all on smaller knives like petty and honesuki though.

Wa for finesse. Yo for duty work. But honestly, I dont actually hold on to much of the handle, so it could probably be a duck taped tang and it'd be fine.LOL
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I prefer yo handles or westernized-wa style knives. I.e Kramer and Shun. I don't like wa handles where the tang is an extension of the spine.
    "Experience" is what you get when you don't get what you want.

Great thread. I've been wondering about this for a while. I've exclusively made western style handles and want to start crafting the Japanese-styled blades and handles. So, I know what a wa handle looks like, but, forgive my ignorance, what is a yo handle? Is this the oval or egg-shaped one as opposed to the octagon wa handle shape?
    -M

I use both, I do not have a preference, but having been purchasing more wa handle knives recently, but like both.

I'm actually really surprised at the number who prefer Yo (western) handles.
    In theory, they are more ergonomical, but we don't grip the knife like a hammer...
    I wonder why so many are drawn to the Wa handled konosukes, suisins, etc.
    It must be the looks....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread