New Nenohi Teasers

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Korin_Mari

Reaction score
We just got a shipment of the new never before seen Nenohi knives! I am very excited and they are all GORGEOUS. We are getting another shipment, but we only have one of each of these knives. We may ask for more depending on how they do, but this is very much up in the air.

The 30-40 year old knives are coming in the next shipment, but this is the cover for one of the other knives. :)

Sakura_saya.jpg

Handmade sakura urushi-e saya cover.
Urushi-e means painting done with colored lacquer, which is made by mixing pigments in a base of transparent lacquer suki-urusi. Until the Edo period, five colors - red, black, yellow, green, and light brown - were available through the use of natural pigments. Later, other colors such as white began to be used. Around the Momoyama period daily and ceremonial lacquerware decorated with colorful urushi-e or mitsuda-e became very popular. Complicated elegant designs of flowers, birds, animals, and scenes from old stories are often depicted by using beautiful gold powders (sunago) and gold leaf (kinpaku). Local traditions of painted lacquerware continue in many areas today, however this too is a dying art. Mr. Sugai told me that a work like this went for $2000 7 years ago, today he's not so sure.

- Information from http://www.aisf.or.jp/~jaanus/deta/u/urushie.htm

Thanks for reading! I will post more pictures here as I get new pictures. :)

wow looks good. Can't wait to see what shows up.

Back