wire edge question #1000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

convis

Reaction score
ive looked through a bunch of old threads already... didnt quite find answer i was looking for.
the first year i really got into sharpening i know now i had terrible wire edge problems....
they are much better thanks to members on this forum.
i sharpened up my akifusa and did my first full sharpening on sakai yusuke white #2
the aki was in pretty haggard shape so i went 500grit, 1200, 5000. balsa w compound. meticulous deburring in between on felt, leather to finish. did that right before getting my sakai 2 weeks ago. knife only saw a few bnut squash maybe 10#potatoes. 5# onions. sakai finally needed more than a finishing stone. 1200 5000 8000. just used cork and pressure control to let burr fall off.
(i was paying close attention on this one.)
i didnt spend long at all on any stones. or strops besides deburring the aki between. pretty light pressure overall.

looked at edges w 45x pocket scope. if i adjusted light just right i could see a tiny tiny glimmer on edges of both.
slammed the the living s*** out of the edge on the aki on cutting board. slammed edge as hard as my courage could allow me to on the sakai. say 40-50 times each knife
post performance was still easily push cutting newspaper. maybe not quite as sharp. both still pretty good. one or two microchips on the aki.
observing led to no difference except for a few tiny microchips on the aki. could still find slight glimmer hairline.
w
first question/statement. Even after that i still think that its a tiny wire edge. Yes?

Second question. I this something i can try to eliminate by messing around w time spent on each stone or amount of pressure and can eliminate with these changes in technique?
Or is it more of a spend another 3 years sharpening working on angle and pressure control problem?

p.s. as another reference i would say aki edge usually lasts me about a 2 weeks with stropping maintenance in a fairly average pro environment.

Sounds like good edge retention to me. I think you might be driving yourself crazy.

Maybe you should try using a German blade for a week so you can see what "normal" cooks usually put up with.

I don't know what else you could do aside from sending it to one of the pros.

How symmetrical are your edges? If they're not lasting as long as you'd like, maybe make them a little more symmetrical?

I'm with Chuckles, if it's to your standards for two weeks, you're either doing a decent job or you're totally failing but have very low standards. I'd guess the former, but I can't be sure without more info on how the edges cut.

Back