Couple yanagi questions.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Davis

Reaction score
So....i have made a total of 3 yanagi and am a bit lost. Do yanahi generally have distal taper? The ones i have made weigh in around the 5.5mm mark with very little distal taper. If it does have distal taper, does the blade road change angle to keep the shinogi line a consistant height? I am slowly getting caught up on orders and want to start doing more single bevel stuff. And insight on these wonderful tools would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Mike

Yes, all of the Yanagiba I own have distal taper, my shig goes from very wide to a very thin tip, my Ikkanshi Tadatsuna has very small taper. The shinogi line will not be a constant height, your blade road will generally be wider at the tip of the blade then near the handle. I am not well versed in Japanese terminology maybe Jon could chime in with some helpful info, looking at some of the images of his refurbs on some older single bevels can really help you get an idea of what you want in the shape/geometry of your blade.

Mike,

all yanagis I studied had a distal taper, some more than others. Even without a distal taper, thickness of the spine near the tip will be slightly thinner than the rest of the blade, due to geometry.

As cookingstuff pointed out, shinogi height increases toward the tip, which translated into a thinner tip area of about 1.5" for delicate cutting tasks.

M

Latest posts

Back