Quantcast
Black garlic - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Black garlic

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    So technically you could sous vide it?
    Jason

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I wonder what the botulism risk would be?
    Any servsafe/HAACP, etc nerds out there that could put my worries to rest?
    I know botulism is a time-temp kinda thing.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    I wonder what the botulism risk would be?
    Any servsafe/HAACP, etc nerds out there that could put my worries to rest?
    I know botulism is a time-temp kinda thing.

That's what I was thinking. If I didn't trust you guys know what you are doing, I would probably call it 'rotten garlic' and throw it away...

Stefan

An oxygen free environment is key for botulism,so airtight sealing of a bag worries me.
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

70-120 is the 'danger zone' for all food borne illness causing critters according to servsafe(which is less than reliable, as both the FDA and the USDA have conflicting studies in regards to a wide range of foodborne pathogens, but lets not go down THAT rabbit hole). Botulism is kind of a curious beast, as it tends to produce its highly poisonous toxins moreso when competing bacteria are present. You can have an abundance of botulism present in your system, and it won't harm you. Until it feels threatened and starts producing said toxins. Which are actually fairly temperature sensitive. All that being said- garlic is fairly acidic(very few pathogens like that), and you're fermenting it at 140 degrees, which is an acceptable temp by servsafe standards to hold food(actually its 135 degrees, and that five degrees makes a big difference in terms of reducing pathogen growth over an extended period).
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

YES! I knew you would be able to answer! Didn't you recently take servsafe?
    I didn't even consider the "holding temp" guidelines.
    I would feel safe being your black garlic taste-tester.
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by AFKitchenknivesguy View Post
    So technically you could sous vide it?
    I thought of this earlier today too. But it would call for a very prolonged use of one's immersion circulator. 30-40 days of non stop activity. That's a lot of action in terms of overall life span of the unit. Pretty sure they weren't designed to be used in that manner... Not to mention its out of commission until your ferment is done(unless you have other projects that utilize said temp of course...).
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

How the hell did somebody stumble upon this delectable?

-AJ

Quote Originally Posted by knyfeknerd View Post
    YES! I knew you would be able to answer! Didn't you recently take servsafe?
    I didn't even consider the "holding temp" guidelines.
    I would feel safe being your black garlic taste-tester.
    I did! And thank you for remembering btw. Finished the test in 10 minutes(we were allotted 45), and passed with a 94( I probably could've done better but I was hungry, and there wasn't any beer nearby ). I've kind of made it my mission nowadays to spread the fermented/cured foods as being more than safe to eat. It's tried and true. A lot of this stuff has been around for too long to mention, and its even safer to practice now, as we understand(to some degree) how and why it works. And it's frickin delicious! I can't wait till I get computron type device in the spring, as I have waaaaay too many pics of cured meats, and lacto fermented veg/fruit to share with you guys! Last thing I'll say in this stupid long post- I recently had a terrible meal at a local restaurant. Woke up the next day with a very unhappy/sour stomach. Not quite 'food poisoning' in terms of the emergency room, but uncomfortable nonetheless. Went into work that morning, ate about a quarter cup of our house fermented sauerkraut, and literally FIFTEEN minutes later I felt fine. Fermented foods are amazing. Ok- rant officially over

Quote Originally Posted by ajhuff View Post
    How the hell did somebody stumble upon this delectable?

-AJ
    My guess would be, a fairly hot arid clime, where the local agriculturists left a crop in the ground for too long. Garlic doesn't grow that far below the top soil, and if it was a particularly hot month? And you saw some local fauna chowing on it? Just my guess.

+ Reply to Thread