2 TITANIC Menu's $160,000

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steeley

GoogleFu San
Founding Member
Reaction score
Two menus went up on the auction block from the Titanic together hey went for $160,000

The first one is from a ship builders launch party .
iYWMol.png
[/IMG]

second is the first class lunch menu on the first day out.
uOQfTl.png
[/IMG]

first class dining room.
6Eftil.jpg
[/IMG]

and a copy of the first class dinner menu.
1BF25l.jpg
[/IMG]

A story of one the chefs of the Titanic Charles Joushin.
FxTarl.jpg
[/IMG]

During the sinking of the Titanic, Joughin and the other chefs were tasked with bringing food and supplies to put aboard the lifeboats. Many depictions of Joughin fail to submit this fact and focus more on his excessive drinking. After awaiting his fate in his cabin while hitting the bottle, Joughin ventured onto the top deck and began helping people onto lifeboats and declining to board one himself. Returning to his cabin and further fortifying himself for another half hour, Joughin would later emerge to throw chairs and other items overboard in hopes to give those who fell overboard something to hang onto.

After the Titanic had completely been submerged, the story sites that Joughin stepped onto the bow of the ship without as much as getting his hair wet. Accounts say that he survived three hours (although the length of time is debated) in the freezing Atlantic. Some say that this was a result of the amount of alcohol in his blood, and others have different explanations. No matter how the details read, the fact is that Joughin survived the sinking of the Titanic and managed to keep a level head during the entire disaster.

He lived until he was 78 in New Jersey.

Of the many chef ,cooks and bakers ,stewards only a few cooks survivors.
Alfred Edger Windebank cook
hdXPHl.jpg
[/IMG]

On the night of the disaster to the Titanic, 15th April 1912, Windebank was one of those who escaped in Lifeboat 13, for which several survivors’ accounts exist (but regrettably none by him). Lifeboat 13 left from the boat deck on the starboard side, loaded by Sixth Officer Moody (who died), and under command of Leading Fireman Fred Barrett. The boat with 65 people was launched at 1.40 a.m. and narrowly escaped collision with Lifeboat 15 which threatened to descend on top of No.13. There were about 22 of Titanic’s crewmen in that boat, some of whom were recalled as being cooks and stewards (among others) by one survivor. The boat was rescued by the Carpathia at 4.45 a.m. and Windebank disembarked in New York on 18th April. Windebank was apparently the only sauce cook to survive; the only other one, G. Bietrix, was lost

(If I had my own restaurant) it would be cool to do these menus on the anniversary of the Titanic's sinking.

A lot of restaurants during the hype from the movie did special menus from the Titanic .
I don't know if i would do a celebrate menu on the anniversary of the sinking
maybe on the day of the launch .

Back