Quantcast
Ceviche!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ceviche!

Ceviche!

This was my first attempt at ceviche, and I'm ecstatic as to how it turned out. Scallops, shrimp and grouper with red onion, cilantro, hot pepper and chickpeas. Anyone have any recommendations as to good ceviche combinations?

Not sure about the chick peas, but it looks damn good! What's your acid?
    Sometimes I use thinly sliced octopus or even conch when I can get it. And for heat I think scotch bonnets are hard to beat.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I know the chickpeas are a bit different, I've seen them used in Costa Rican variations of ceviche, and I liked the shape (echoing the more traditional Peruvian toasted corn kernels). Going to keep experimenting, though!

I used roughly a cup and a half of fresh lime juice and marinated the seafood separately for about an hour (until the scallops and fish went opaque, and the shrimp pink) and then combined and rested for 30 minutes. Totally delicious.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Fresh conch is fantastic. I'm going to have to try chickpeas in my next one...

Were your scallops previously frozen, or fresh. Man, that looks really great! I can go for some now, because the weather here in Florida is getting hotttt!

The scallops were fresh, wild Atlantic scallops. Unbelievably sweet and fantastic. I cut them down to about the size of a bay scallop to make them even in size with the shrimp pieces.

Do an avocado mousse underneath it. Avocado, sour cream, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, kosher salt, white pepper. Puree till smooth and pass through a chinois. Check the seasoning and acid tt. About 1/2 cup of the mousse down on the plate/bowl/glass, place the ceviche on top, garnish with something crispy like a fried parsnip chip or fried salsify ribbon or maybe maldon salt flake and serve.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Do an avocado mousse underneath it. Avocado, sour cream, extra virgin olive oil, lime juice, kosher salt, white pepper. Puree till smooth and pass through a chinois. Check the seasoning and acid tt. About 1/2 cup of the mousse down on the plate/bowl/glass, place the ceviche on top, garnish with something crispy like a fried parsnip chip or fried salsify ribbon or maybe maldon salt flake and serve.
    Wow...yeah that sounds delicious.

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Parsnip chips, eh? That sounds like a very cool idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Amon-Rukh View Post
    Parsnip chips, eh? That sounds like a very cool idea!
    Any root vegetable works well. Yucca, sweet potato, beets.

Ever had taro chips? They're good with hawaiian style tuna ceviche (poke).

Here's an interesting spin: tartare in taro tacos.

+ Reply to Thread