Quantcast
Food allergies, intolerances, aversions and imagined problems - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Food allergies, intolerances, aversions and imagined problems

I've spent significant time reading about and dealing with allergies, experimenting on my kids, and talking with allergists. The main conclusion I've reached is I don't know much and neither do the doctors. It's been frustrating to say the least.

Excellent post, Son.

I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I've run into my share of these:

Click image for larger version

Name:	bubble_boy_2-7543792.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	11794
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

After working at a place who's standard "Consuming raw or undercooked meat, seafood or eggs may pose a risk to your health." went on to read "any special requests will be polity declined.", I now work at a sushi restaurant where I get soy and fish allergy tickets everyday.

I am happy to help customers make safe decisions about a life threatening acute disorder, but if you want me to redesign the menu to maximize your energy levels, mineral uptake, and gastrointestinal regularity, get the **** out.

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I don't mean to offend..........Chemical Baby's is my theory.I know a lot of people that had trouble making a baby the natural way and there children that they "made" have heath issues,at least the majority of them that I know.
    If you need to start a post with "I don't mean to offend" you're probably about to say something offensive. It's like people who say things like "I'm not racist BUT... [insert racist comment here]"

My two yr old son has a couple of intolerances and allergies - soy, dairy, eggs and kiwi fruit - and he was certainly conceived and 'made naturally' .

There has been a huge rise in intolerance and allergies over the last fifteen to twenty years.

Hoss is right to a certain extent, encouraging the proper gut microflora can help for intolerances and digestion difficulty, but proper allergy, especially an anaphylactic reaction, the symptoms are an immune mediated response, not digestive

The reason for the rise in intolerance is still not really known - the modern cleanliness hygeine hypothesis is one idea, the rise of processed foods is another, genetic predisposition is also a contributing factor.

None of these seem to account for my son's allergies - we like to play in the dirt, grow and eat organic food, and are certainly not the cleanest family in the world...

Dealing with allergies in a restaurant is a piece of cake - try doing it at a kids first birthday party!!!

Also AJ: For many, allergies are not all in the mind at all. You clearly haven't seen a toddlers face swell up because they have a mouthful of the wrong fruit.

Both as a chef and father I spend a lot of time dealing with allergy and intolerance - not only is it a PITA, but it can also cause pain and frustration.

That said, last night at work we had "No coriander please, I'm allergic to coriander." I wanted to jump over the pass, and scream ''BULLSH**! NO-ONE IS ALLERGIC TO CORIANDER*!!! YOU JUST DON'T LIKE IT!!!"
    Last edited by Dusty; 11-29-2012 at 05:50 AM. Reason: added two words

Quote Originally Posted by eshua View Post
    I am happy to help customers make safe decisions about a life threatening acute disorder, but if you want me to redesign the menu to maximize your energy levels, mineral uptake, and gastrointestinal regularity, get the **** out.
    Yes!!!

That pretty much sums it up in restaurants.

Where I work there's been a load of weird allergies. I think a lot of them are in their head. Another one that pisses me off is people who say "I can't have xxx because I'm a celiac" yet they order something that clearly contains gluten

Keep those Benadryl shots ready, boys!

There are food allergies, food intolerances, and then just plain bullshitters that don't want garlic breath on their first date.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

+ Reply to Thread