Quantcast
Food allergies, intolerances, aversions and imagined problems - Page 9
+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Food allergies, intolerances, aversions and imagined problems

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Also, my neighbor's kid is allergic to corn syrup, and when I told her about the article, she got this excited look on her face and said that she has long suspected that the GMO corn is what her kid is allergic too and not 'normal' corn syrup.
    Is there such a thing as non-gmo, heirloom, handmade, artisan corn syrup?
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I'm allergic to stupid.

Had a ticket come in the other day which read, "Bacon Allergy". ******* bacon allergy? Get the **** out of here.
    Probably nitrates. I get a weird reaction to domestic canned tuna in oil. Makes my face sweat. No problem with water pack though.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Is there such a thing as non-gmo, heirloom, handmade, artisan corn syrup?
    My first reaction was: probably not. But google yielded an organic corn syrup, which is somewhat diabolical. Anyhow...

Corn Syrup use (or overuse) in the US is primarily due to sugar quotas and tariffs that limit importation of sugar and make our sugar prices much higher than the rest of the world. Corn syrup is simply cheaper in the US than sugar, so it is used more here as a sweetener. It is one reason Coke in other countries tastes different -- they often use sugar as the sweetener.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    I'm allergic to stupid.

Had a ticket come in the other day which read, "Bacon Allergy". ******* bacon allergy? Get the **** out of here.
    But they don't have a problem with ham.
    Chewie's the man.

Just read that approx. 1% of the population are estimated to have a gluten intolerance that requires them to avoid gluten - but 28% of the population say they are cutting back or avoiding gluten. Makes you wonder... Haven't looked into the details of the gluten research, but my understanding is that the claims that avoiding gluten has a lot of benefits for healthy people are contradictory at best.

Stefan

I think part of it is because of that Wheat Belly book that is so popular and also some high-profile celebs going gluten free like Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus. And now that 'gluten-free' is seen as a sign of quality/healthy food for many, it is being plastered over all sorts of product packaging giving people the constant reminder the gluten is bad. It is just another case of a fad diet slowly changing how impressionable couch Americans eat.

Btw, one time I was in a grocery store and accidentally bought some gluten free ravioli. It tasted as if someone reformulated the pasta using vomit. It was nasty.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I think if Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus are our models for how we should eat, the end of the world is near.

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    I think if Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus are our models for how we should eat, the end of the world is near.

Stefan
    Amen.

I have an allergy to bourbon, it makes me drunk and disorderly.
    "Those who say it can't be done are always pasted by those doing it"

May I have some fat, cholesterol and gluten with a side of caffeine please?
    Dave
    Older and wider.

+ Reply to Thread