Quantcast
Wok
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wok

Wok

I recently decided I needed to add another cooking implement to my home kitchen. I want to give a try to using a wok. I am very familiar with carbon pans, most of my fry pans are Debuyer, but woks are a little intimidating due to the sheer number of them. What is a good brand to purchase? Thanks in advance.

http://www.asianequipmentworld.com/town-woks.html

I find the ones from Town Food to be great. There not flashy but they work great.

I bought a cast iron one from the wok shop. http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products...cast-iron.html It's not like our cast iron, very thin and light from what you'd expect.

I also use the traditional Chinese cast iron wok. It is a thin cast iron so it heats up fast and conducts heat better than the carbon steel woks. The cast iron also seems to season better, but you can't bang them around like a steel wok or they will shatter.

I don't think they are still around but "great wok of china " hand hammered wok from the old infomercial is great!! I would love a new one myself if anyone finds one, or knows who made it.
    I like the look of hammered one from that shop you posted above. I have never bought any thing from them, are they good quality? I like A wok with one handle better then the two handle type

I would check out the wok shop, they also sell their wares through Amazon.com. If you don't have a local Chinatown, world market has a few carbon steel woks. Happy wok hunting!

I have a couple of carbon steel (no brand name) that I had purchased years ago in various Asian markets. When I switched over to induction though the carbon steel aren't flat enough due to years of high heat. I have since gone with a Lodge cast iron wok which works great on my induction stove.
    --
    Joe

I've got a Lodge wok too but I use it on a gas burner outside since electric won't begin to heat it properly. Induction could be a cool alternative.

I love my no-brand carbon steel wok. I'm sure you know this, but get the largest one you can fit on your stove / heat properly. Carbon steel is great, it heats up quick, nothing sticks, you can get it to glowing without damaging it badly ... Over the years they may warp a bit though, so it might not make perfect contact with induction or electric burners after a while. They are cheap and easy to handle though!

+ Reply to Thread