Quantcast
Wok - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Wok

+1 on the wok shop... The owner is very friendly and knowledgeable! I own close to 10 different woks and wok shaped vessels, big fan of the design. I would recommend Breath of a Wok and Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge by Grace Young to compliment your purchase.

Hi
    I don’t know the actual brand names, but my woks are either cast iron (heavy, takes longer to heat up, but retains heat well) or carbon steel (lighter, heats & cools faster). I usually use a carbon steel one when doing dishes that require cooking the ingredients separately and the wok to be rinsed frequently. Whereas a cast iron one when doing large, pile on the ingredients type dishes.

Stir frying requires a lot of BTU’s. I use a dedicated wok burner that puts out ~35k BTU’s, which is about 2-3 times more than a standard cook top.

Really any carbon wok will do as long as it's seasoned properly first.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Thank you all for the replies. The Wok Shop looks like a great way to go. There is soon to be a wok in my kitchen. Regards,

I clicked Dave's link to the burner... always cracks me up when I see Singapore noodles.

Lived in Singapore all my life and had to study in Australia before I realised that fried noodles were called Singapore noodles. Talk about odd.

A whole table of singaporeans were sitting there and saying... "Umm, ok so who's going to order the Singapore noodles? Come on, someone has got to do it. We need to find out what it is..."

I think woks are useless without a wok burner. You're better off stir-frying in skillet. Woks take a long time heat up due to small bottom surface contact. The really need an intense flame that wraps around the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    I think woks are useless without a wok burner. You're better off stir-frying in skillet. Woks take a long time heat up due to small bottom surface contact. The really need an intense flame that wraps around the bottom.
    I would of agreed with this until I got induction cook top. The only thing that gets hot is the pan and does so even faster than flame can do it. Now with a cast iron wok like the lodge I own it is flat bottomed on the out side but round on the inside and heats up in seconds on the induction.
    --
    Joe

They actually make special induction cooktops for woks. The top is concave to accept the wok. Pretty wild, and effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    I don't think they are still around but "great wok of china " hand hammered wok from the old infomercial is great!! I would love a new one myself if anyone finds one, or knows who made it.
    I like the look of hammered one from that shop you posted above. I have never bought any thing from them, are they good quality? I like A wok with one handle better then the two handle type
    I've got a couple of these. One that's seen some use (though I never am able to get it hot enough. I need to build a burner since the one Dave linked too is just too pricey for what it is...) and once that's BNIB (minus the handle and accessories...found it at a thrift store years ago).

-d