Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Wok

I don't use my wok very often but the old propane fired splicers lead pot burner I have does a good job of heating it up!

I googled this photo - you may be able to pick one up off ebay or flea.

When it's nice weather here in Ohio I do like to fire up the charcoal grill and just use that for a hell of a burner. Only problem is that you have to move everything outside but if it's nice out then it's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Forge burner Deker?
    I didn't say I was MAKING a wok Dave! Thank god I don't have a rolling mill that will do 24" wide stock or I'd make a Damascus wok!

-d

FWIW:
    the turkey deep fryer burner works well, and was a lot cheaper as part of a kit than many other solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    FWIW:
    the turkey deep fryer burner works well, and was a lot cheaper as part of a kit than many other solutions.
    That's along the lines of what I was thinking, except I'd probably redo the frame to bring it more than 16" off of the ground.

-d

I can't recall what burner I bought a few years ago but it was just a heavy duty version of a turkey fryer. I use a Lodge cast iron wok on it with great results. I was truly surprised by how responsive the heavy cast iron was with temp control but it's not at all user friendly to move about quickly. You've got to be set and ready to rock and roll before lighting this fire. Lots of fun cooking like this.

oh yeah, mine's about twice that tall.
    It's a little annoying at times being that short, not so much that a few beers won't take my mind off it though.

One of the first projects that I'm going to do when I get my hot shop set up is to make myself a killer wok/burner stand. It won't be damascus like Deker would make but it'll be overbuilt for sure.

I hate to bump such an old thread, especially as a new member, but after looking around online this looked like the best place to post this. I went to my local Goodwill today and I found a brand new and sealed "Great Wok of China" for $5 from the old infomercial that you guys were talking about earlier in this thread. I wanted to get some opinions on this.

I have a basic Wok that I bought at Kmart once, a non-stick wok and that's it, no lid, no wok specific utensils, nothing like that.

Is this one good enough quality, even though being this old, to open and use or would my time be better spend sticking it on eBay?

I'd like to hear from you guys, thanks in advance!