Wok

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kalaeb

Banned
Reaction score
I recently decided I needed to add another cooking implement to my home kitchen. I want to give a try to using a wok. I am very familiar with carbon pans, most of my fry pans are Debuyer, but woks are a little intimidating due to the sheer number of them. What is a good brand to purchase? Thanks in advance.

I also use the traditional Chinese cast iron wok. It is a thin cast iron so it heats up fast and conducts heat better than the carbon steel woks. The cast iron also seems to season better, but you can't bang them around like a steel wok or they will shatter.

I don't think they are still around but "great wok of china " hand hammered wok from the old infomercial is great!! I would love a new one myself if anyone finds one, or knows who made it.
I like the look of hammered one from that shop you posted above. I have never bought any thing from them, are they good quality? I like A wok with one handle better then the two handle type

I would check out the wok shop, they also sell their wares through Amazon.com. If you don't have a local Chinatown, world market has a few carbon steel woks. Happy wok hunting!

I have a couple of carbon steel (no brand name) that I had purchased years ago in various Asian markets. When I switched over to induction though the carbon steel aren't flat enough due to years of high heat. I have since gone with a Lodge cast iron wok which works great on my induction stove.

I've got a Lodge wok too but I use it on a gas burner outside since electric won't begin to heat it properly. Induction could be a cool alternative.

I love my no-brand carbon steel wok. I'm sure you know this, but get the largest one you can fit on your stove / heat properly. Carbon steel is great, it heats up quick, nothing sticks, you can get it to glowing without damaging it badly ... Over the years they may warp a bit though, so it might not make perfect contact with induction or electric burners after a while. They are cheap and easy to handle though!

+1 on the wok shop... The owner is very friendly and knowledgeable! I own close to 10 different woks and wok shaped vessels, big fan of the design. I would recommend Breath of a Wok and Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge by Grace Young to compliment your purchase.

Hi
I don’t know the actual brand names, but my woks are either cast iron (heavy, takes longer to heat up, but retains heat well) or carbon steel (lighter, heats & cools faster). I usually use a carbon steel one when doing dishes that require cooking the ingredients separately and the wok to be rinsed frequently. Whereas a cast iron one when doing large, pile on the ingredients type dishes.

Stir frying requires a lot of BTU’s. I use a dedicated wok burner that puts out ~35k BTU’s, which is about 2-3 times more than a standard cook top.

Really any carbon wok will do as long as it's seasoned properly first.

Thank you all for the replies. The Wok Shop looks like a great way to go. There is soon to be a wok in my kitchen. Regards,

I clicked Dave's link to the burner... always cracks me up when I see Singapore noodles.

Lived in Singapore all my life and had to study in Australia before I realised that fried noodles were called Singapore noodles. Talk about odd.

A whole table of singaporeans were sitting there and saying... "Umm, ok so who's going to order the Singapore noodles? Come on, someone has got to do it. We need to find out what it is..."

I think woks are useless without a wok burner. You're better off stir-frying in skillet. Woks take a long time heat up due to small bottom surface contact. The really need an intense flame that wraps around the bottom.

I think woks are useless without a wok burner. You're better off stir-frying in skillet. Woks take a long time heat up due to small bottom surface contact. The really need an intense flame that wraps around the bottom.

I would of agreed with this until I got induction cook top. The only thing that gets hot is the pan and does so even faster than flame can do it. Now with a cast iron wok like the lodge I own it is flat bottomed on the out side but round on the inside and heats up in seconds on the induction.

They actually make special induction cooktops for woks. The top is concave to accept the wok. Pretty wild, and effective.

I don't think they are still around but "great wok of china " hand hammered wok from the old infomercial is great!! I would love a new one myself if anyone finds one, or knows who made it.
I like the look of hammered one from that shop you posted above. I have never bought any thing from them, are they good quality? I like A wok with one handle better then the two handle type

I've got a couple of these. One that's seen some use (though I never am able to get it hot enough. I need to build a burner since the one Dave linked too is just too pricey for what it is...) and once that's BNIB (minus the handle and accessories...found it at a thrift store years ago).

-d

I don't use my wok very often but the old propane fired splicers lead pot burner I have does a good job of heating it up!

I googled this photo - you may be able to pick one up off ebay or flea.
bell-system-propane-lead-pot-heater-burner_230571353527.jpg

When it's nice weather here in Ohio I do like to fire up the charcoal grill and just use that for a hell of a burner. Only problem is that you have to move everything outside but if it's nice out then it's cool.

FWIW:
the turkey deep fryer burner works well, and was a lot cheaper as part of a kit than many other solutions.

FWIW:
the turkey deep fryer burner works well, and was a lot cheaper as part of a kit than many other solutions.

That's along the lines of what I was thinking, except I'd probably redo the frame to bring it more than 16" off of the ground.

-d

I can't recall what burner I bought a few years ago but it was just a heavy duty version of a turkey fryer. I use a Lodge cast iron wok on it with great results. I was truly surprised by how responsive the heavy cast iron was with temp control but it's not at all user friendly to move about quickly. You've got to be set and ready to rock and roll before lighting this fire. Lots of fun cooking like this. :)

oh yeah, mine's about twice that tall.
It's a little annoying at times being that short, not so much that a few beers won't take my mind off it though. :)

One of the first projects that I'm going to do when I get my hot shop set up is to make myself a killer wok/burner stand. It won't be damascus like Deker would make but it'll be overbuilt for sure. :)

I hate to bump such an old thread, especially as a new member, but after looking around online this looked like the best place to post this. I went to my local Goodwill today and I found a brand new and sealed "Great Wok of China" for $5 from the old infomercial that you guys were talking about earlier in this thread. I wanted to get some opinions on this.

I have a basic Wok that I bought at Kmart once, a non-stick wok and that's it, no lid, no wok specific utensils, nothing like that.

Is this one good enough quality, even though being this old, to open and use or would my time be better spend sticking it on eBay?

I'd like to hear from you guys, thanks in advance!

Back