How do you store them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattrud

Founding Member
Reaction score
Your knives that is. I just moved and am thinking about putting something in that can hold my knives and sharpening gear as well as sharpen on top of. looking for thoughts and ideas.

thanks

I keep mine in the box they came with. just a wipe of oil if they will stay there for a while.

Have serious humidity problem in my kitchen where temperature drops in the early morning causing micro- corrosion on the edges. That said, a few strokes on Cr2O3 will do.

I remember Jon had a kitchen cart type thing in his apartment. He would sharpen on top by pushing it against a stable wall and then it had racks underneath it that could hold stones, bins, etc. That's what I'd want.

I have small bookshelf with stones and knives/boxes, then some knives in boxes on another shelf, and some in my bag, and some in a drawer; I always seem to have knife in reach.

I just bout a file cabinet for maps and/or blueprints at a salvage yard. The long term plan is to refinish it and make a base table height so it doubles as a work area. Similar to a nice craftsman or snapon tool box. I will do a work in progress once I get serious about the plan.

I live in an old house built in the 1930's,sink has large areas on each side that have drain groves to the basin.I use a section of 2x4 (untreated wood)rag underneath & on top,gives the stone good height.17"piece of 2x4 let dry in sun,keep it in the garage.You can deburr wt. wood as well.

I like Magbloks for knives I'm using.Only stones not using in boxes.Keep active stones & diamond plates in a Tansu drawer.

I have a dedicated drawer in my kitchen. Stones, boxes, knives I'm not currently using, and assorted knife related stuff ends up in under bed boxes where I can easily roll them out to quickly access whatever I need. Not the ideal arrangement, but I can't justify taking up valuable pantry space with all my knives. Such is the joy of living in a 1928 bungalow. I'd love one of those fancy walk in pantries I see in some of the newer houses in our extended neighborhood, but I can't quite figure out where to put one in our house. LOL

I keep mine in assorted knife rolls/bags. I switch them out depending on what I know I will be doing that day for service/prepping while keeping a few staples. I keep the knife rolls that I'm not currently using safely tucked in the bottom of my closet wih padding surrounding them.

On my 18" walnut mag-blok. My two stones/diamond plate stay in the drawer for easy access.

make sure it's clean and dry, and oil it (make sure it's not food oil..... also not soaking in oil, but just thin coating)... also i find it useful to wrap carbon ones in rust resistant paper

mechanic's tool chest, colin style. just get a lower cabinent, not the top half with the flip open top. then you can use the top as a sharpening area.

based on your collection, you will probably need something about this size.

Back