Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dave Martell's Core Set of Sharpening Stones

Dave Martell's Core Set of Sharpening Stones

This is the set of stones that I most often recommend because this is what I reach for everyday....

http://www.japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com/product-p/set1dmcore.htm

Dave Martell's Core Set of Sharpening Stones

This set includes the following...

Beston 500x - A fast cutting yet very slow wearing which are the essential elements that make up a good coarse stone. This Beston 500x leaves a fine finish for this grit range and is an excellant stone for fixing edge chips/nicks as well as more serious grinding tasks. This stone cuts like a 220x but leaves a 500x finish. For knives that skid on diamond plates this stone will grab and go to work. I use this stone to remove edge nicks/chips, to set new bevels, thin edges, and flatten the blade roads of single bevel Japanese knives. I find it to provide great feedback and ease in "feeling the bevel" which helps in holding the knife steady and staying level in use. I keep two soaking in my bucket at all times and have always kept back-ups on hand "just in case of emergency". This stone is a must have in my opinion.

Bester 1200x - This is a nice wide fast cutting yet slow wearing coarse stone. It leaves a fine finish in this grit range and is an excellent stone to start off a normal sharpening session with as it cuts a bevel quickly. I find it to provide great feedback and ease in feeling the bevel which helps in holding the knife steady and staying level.

Suehiro Rika 5k - One of the best feeling/feedback waterstones I've ever used, a pure joy to work with.This stone offers, what appears to be, a 3000x edge (not very shiny) however the edge quality is 5000x, no question about it. This stone makes a great stopping point for double bevel knives.

much more awesomer
    Hey, I resemble that remark.

Francesco
    Unskilled flunky

Definitely can't go wrong with that setup.

This has been a great seller for us and I'm happy about this not just because I make a few dollars but because I use and believe in this set and know that this is going to give the new user a great head start with years of use to come. Yeah it's my favorite set up for good reason.

That's cool, Dave: very helpful and a great bargain for new folks to get all the basics covered for under $140!

Yeah, that's a great way to sell them. I can see why it is a top seller.

Btw, Dave, for those of us that bought your core stones back when you were recommending the synthetic blue aoto (2000-3000k), how does that stone fit into your recommendations these days?

Just wondering.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    Yeah, that's a great way to sell them. I can see why it is a top seller.

Btw, Dave, for those of us that bought your core stones back when you were recommending the synthetic blue aoto (2000-3000k), how does that stone fit into your recommendations these days?

Just wondering.

k.

That's a very cool stone that I still use all of the time but only on single bevels now. I've found that I get benefits from using it on wide bevels but that it's a tad slippery for me to maintain the really fixed position that a thin double bevel edge needs to make it really crisp. For single bevels though, this is a must have for edge quality (toothiness & deburring) plus looks as well.

I'm not as quick to promote this stone as I used to be though, the issues with it's crackability is something that needs to be considered. I have a strong warning on my site about this.

I sometimes alternate Bester 1200 with JNS 1K, but overall, this is a set that I have used for years and plan on using for years to come, as it works well on carbon and stainless alike.

Thanks for bringing it back, Dave -

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Dave, How does the bester 1200 compare to the bester 2k? wondering if I should get it and the rika.