Quantcast
Shun blue steel knives - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shun blue steel knives

I expect they'll fall into the two latter categories. I don't oft watch FN, but I do tend to tune in if someone interesting is featured. On the occasions I've seen Chris Cosentino using knives, he seems to be wielding a Nenox kiritsuke more often than not. If he's teaming up with Kai Shun, I guess we'll see something different moving forward. If they approach the knives the same way they did the Shun "single bevel" knives, they'll be anything but traditional single bevel. They'll have the characteristics and geometry of the single bevel knife with a very distinct western style double bevel cutting edge on it.

As they are bead blasting the blade road, good luck with maintenance.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    As they are bead blasting the blade road, good luck with maintenance.
    Sure won't look like OOTB after the first thinning session.

Not a bad looking knife,looks like a single bevel,if it is similar in geometry to their VG-10 Yanagi,then the hollow grind is very shallow.

The bead blast looks to be more in the middle between the top of the single bevel & the blade road.You can sharpen a SB to a polished edge wt. out messing up the bead blast for a time anyway.

They do a menkiri as well which is rather strange

Looks like a good idea that wasn't done quite right. It seems like a big dog is (at least) paying attention.

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    not single bevel last time i saw one
    Have not seen one yet,only the picture,that kiritsuke I thought it was a high shinoge line true SB kiritsuke guess not,but why that high line on the blade face?Are these blue steel Shuns a new release?

Quote Originally Posted by keithsaltydog View Post
    Have not seen one yet,only the picture,that kiritsuke I thought it was a high shinoge line true SB kiritsuke guess not,but why that high line on the blade face?Are these blue steel Shuns a new release?
    "San mai" and "single bevel" don't mix.

yeah... they are new... i saw some early ones here in LA a while back. the look is just a look. thats what shun does best