Quantcast
Serrated Knives
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Serrated Knives

Serrated Knives

Hey there, Knife Knuts......

I operate a sharpening service and have a question for anyone with an answer.

I recently came across a serrated knife with really fine serrations. I don't think it's a very high quality, but how is anyone sharpening these? The serrations are much too small for my Spiderco. Looks like the previous sharpener used a wheel and hollow-ground the back of the knife.

I used the Spiderco on the front like I would with any serrated knife, then lightly matched the hollow ground angle on the back. That gave me a pretty good edge. Just looking to see if anyone has any other methods.

John

My dad used to grind off all the serrations on a grinding wheel, then sharpen what was left like a real knife.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

Quote Originally Posted by Sharp Shop View Post
    Hey there, Knife Knuts......

I operate a sharpening service and have a question for anyone with an answer.

I recently came across a serrated knife with really fine serrations. I don't think it's a very high quality, but how is anyone sharpening these? The serrations are much too small for my Spiderco. Looks like the previous sharpener used a wheel and hollow-ground the back of the knife.

I used the Spiderco on the front like I would with any serrated knife, then lightly matched the hollow ground angle on the back. That gave me a pretty good edge. Just looking to see if anyone has any other methods.

John
    Some pics of the knife and closeups of the serrations might help.

Quote Originally Posted by FryBoy View Post
    My dad used to grind off all the serrations on a grinding wheel, then sharpen what was left like a real knife.
    Thats awsome! Reminds me of what my dad was like.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

If the serrations are ground from one side of the blade, the natural thing to do is to flatten the opposite side, which will naturally sharpen the serrations. If the serrations are ground from both sides, the option of grinding the serrations down to sharpen what is left might be an option. However, very few serrated blades I have encountered are made from steel qualities useful for non-serrated use.

DarkHOeK

This is the exact reason I cut loaves and buns with my gyutos...yes, even crusty baguettes.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

+ Reply to Thread