Serrated Knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sharp Shop

Reaction score
Hey there, Knife Knuts......

I operate a sharpening service and have a question for anyone with an answer.

I recently came across a serrated knife with really fine serrations. I don't think it's a very high quality, but how is anyone sharpening these? The serrations are much too small for my Spiderco. Looks like the previous sharpener used a wheel and hollow-ground the back of the knife.

I used the Spiderco on the front like I would with any serrated knife, then lightly matched the hollow ground angle on the back. That gave me a pretty good edge. Just looking to see if anyone has any other methods.

John

My dad used to grind off all the serrations on a grinding wheel, then sharpen what was left like a real knife.

Hey there, Knife Knuts......

I operate a sharpening service and have a question for anyone with an answer.

I recently came across a serrated knife with really fine serrations. I don't think it's a very high quality, but how is anyone sharpening these? The serrations are much too small for my Spiderco. Looks like the previous sharpener used a wheel and hollow-ground the back of the knife.

I used the Spiderco on the front like I would with any serrated knife, then lightly matched the hollow ground angle on the back. That gave me a pretty good edge. Just looking to see if anyone has any other methods.

John

Some pics of the knife and closeups of the serrations might help.

If the serrations are ground from one side of the blade, the natural thing to do is to flatten the opposite side, which will naturally sharpen the serrations. If the serrations are ground from both sides, the option of grinding the serrations down to sharpen what is left might be an option. However, very few serrated blades I have encountered are made from steel qualities useful for non-serrated use.

DarkHOeK

This is the exact reason I cut loaves and buns with my gyutos...yes, even crusty baguettes.

Back