Quantcast
Honolulu Fish Auction - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honolulu Fish Auction

Awesome photos. We've been to Hawaii several times but the fish market is not something I've ever seen. I've read other articles and every time I see photos like this it just makes me want to go back again!

Dave

I have a negative reaction any time that I see the term longline used. Interesting place. One of those species looks a bit cloudy eyed. Ain't gonna get no French housewife to buy that.

Senior Member AFKitchenknivesguy's Avatar
    Sweet thanks for that! Living in Colorado, I really miss fresh fish.
    Jason

Thanks guys! I understand they can be out there up to three weeks, maybe that is the reason why some eyes look cloudier than others. You could also clearly see which tuna was fresher than others by the color and the texture of the cuts that were placed on every single fish. Of course, those factors get reflected in the price they are going for.

Stefan

Cool pics! I like how they have little cross cut sections so you can see what you are getting.

Amazing and great pics.
    "Too much of anything is bad, but too much good whiskey is barely enough." —Mark Twain

Cool, thanks!
    one man gathers what another man spills...

Stefan, our captain and mate said that the yellowfin tuna that we would eat might have been classified as a lower grade if it ever showed up at auction, but at the time we were eating it, it was about as good as any "sahimi grade" stuff because it had been swimming a few hours before that. I think that a lot of the grading relates somewhat to how well the stuff will travel. Our little Atlantic blackfin tuna is not a commercially exploited species for that very reason. it is quite good, but must be consumed in a matter of a couple of days or it starts going bad and even fast freezing it doesn't seem to help. I am amazed to see that many wahoo in one place. Hawaii might be one of the few places where you can find enough of those fish running together to make them commercially viable. Down here , they tend to run alone or maybe in 2's or 3's at best.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Thats so cool man.

Thanks for sharing!