How to sell the ones you love

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbochef422

Reaction score
I have to many Gyutos and I know it. I'm actually kind of proud but I thinks it's time to move on. My problem is I need a honesuki, deba and others but just keep buying Gyutos. My least used is probably the Takeda so I used it for the day and loved it so now I don't want to sell it. I want to sell one, so I use it one last time then I don't want to sell it anymore. How do you sell off a knife and have no emotional attachment?

put your tounge on the edge and see if you stil love it. :razz:

i have the same problem too. it was very very difficult to decide on which knife i wanna sell to get my sujihiki.

I know that someone can use at least one more than I will. And this coming year I want to buy a masamoto ks I'm getting a gyuto from gareth bull and Mario that's three more right off the bat. This might turn into a sales thread.

A lot of us seems to hoard, and then purge. I think at some point your bubble bursts and you just make the plunge.
May i suggest:

Sell off several at once, then regret it, then move on.

Like ripping off a bandage.

Find two or more that have the same characteristics; height, profile, length, weight then determine which of those you like least and put it up for sale. Or give it to some one as a gift, this way you can tell yourself you did a good thing and deserve another knife.

Wow when I first read the title of the thread I was thinking white slavery.

Been here a few times. I have to start with the ones seeing the least service. Once I weed those out I have to enlist the help of my lovely wife to help me get rid of the rest. There are a few that are untouchable, but I lay out the ones that might get cut, and let her do the rest. Sometimes I bargain...if I get rid of a knife she has to down size a few shoes or a jacket. Makes me feel better when we both get rid of stuff.

240 gyutos are my weakness too, I have around 6 high end gyutos, and i'm still using a stainless messermeister deba I've had for 7 years! It's nice to know I'm not the only one!

Wow...that seems kind of unfair. What's the resale value of used shoes these days? :scratchhead:

I think you might be surprised at the cost of some shoes. But value is not really the point, so much as attachement.

Well if anyone does end up selling some stuff off pm me since my wife really wants a decent knife and I'd love to get her one for Xmas but after buying my first ever decent knife (carbonext) i don't have much in the budget lol. She got knife envy but seeing as she's pregnant I'm gonna have to find something for her. Eventually i will have more knives and need to sell some, but until then, I wanna buy lol

I'm been putting off selling a few of my favorites because it's the last thing I want to do but sometimes you've just got to bite the bullet no matter how much it hurts. :sad0:

That means a lot Dave being I need to sell one to do the Dave performance package for my soon to be sujihiki.

I decided to turn around and do some good with the money...or, I will....

In all seriousness, I have 3 knives I'll NEVER sell, and two that I likely won't sell. On top of that, one that I know I won't sell is coming. My travel knife is a Marr petty that was gifted to me by a very good friend and I love the use it is seeing because of me. I have grown very attached to it, using it at work, home and anywhere, really, so I guess that won't be sold either.

I'd just sell other things, if I were you. :D Take up another hobby and then sell that stuff off right away. I hear audio equipment is fun.

simple.... you sell the knife you love & buy a knife you love even more:D

If it was that easy I wouldn't own 30+ gyutos.... But at some point just pick the one you haven't been using much (don't use it to refresh your memory of how much you like it) and just sell it. Then buy more knives.

-Chuck

Actually, I want all the knives back that I've sold to you guys.

My problem is that the four kiritskes that I have, a couple that I would sell; there is no love for them and I can't possibly get at at least some of my money out of them.

If it's too hard to sell them maybe just don't sell them? The ones I sold I either didn't like or didn't use at all so they were no-brainers. Perhaps think of someone else using the knives more often and how much they'd appreciate them more than you perhaps?

...or idiots like myself, who have an addiction to getting abused knives and hopefully turning them into reformed and reworked pieces that will be loved again! :D

Jeez, I have to say, especially at the beginning of this thread, that some of the comments from you guys had me on the verge of tears - the emotion, the longing and heartbreak were palpable. :tongue2:

I wonder what it means that some are so loyal in some areas, yet so promiscuous with blades? It's a strange life we lead.

No love for kiritsuke? Really? Well, it's true that those of us who love single-bevels are a smaller subset of the KKF group :)

I have the same issue with cleavers. Buy buy buy. Sell? Whats that? No. Even if I dont use them...I hang them up in the kitchen for looks and comfort. I am looking for a new 240mm guyoto so maybe we can talk :D.

Back