Japanese bowls

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Neal

Reaction score
Does anyone know where these bowls are from or who made them? They are old favorites of Her Ladyship, and she is curious.

bowls.jpg

Any idea what the kanji mean?

kanji2.jpg

kanji1.jpg

Thanks,

K

those bowls are made in China, not Japan! the stamp show it made at Qianlong Dynasty. however, I think it's fake......

they are probably for the export market, not very old and not very valuable. The Chinese are famous for recycling makers marks and imperial seals. Some of the works are quite good. If they were Japanese they would be called Imari ware and would look slightly different. The colors of the glazes would be a little different. pink is not a color used often if at all in Imari ware.

imari plate.jpg

imari plate2.jpg

imari plate3.jpg

they are nice looking bowls and have what appears to be an Imperial court theme which is a very common subject matter. If she likes them, then that is all that matters. I think I may actually have some rice bowls and pho bowls with a similar theme.

Son, the range of subjects about which you are knowledgeable is astonishing. Thanks! She will be happy to know the origin.

Yeah, I like the look if them. On a related topic, wasabi bowls are awesome too!

Back