Quantcast
Short Parer Rec
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Short Parer Rec

Short Parer Rec

Now that it is getting more and more into fruit season, I find myself using a short paring knife for coring fruit quite a bit. My present knife is embarrassing so I would like to replace it.

I was thinking of the jck original 70mm Parer.

http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/JCKHattoriForums.html

Any other suggestions?

K.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

I use a Miyabi

I like the thin handle. Rolled spine and choil (what there is of one). VG10, which Miyabi seems to do better with than most manufacturers. You can get a normal pointed one as well. $70 at SLT.

I was actually looking at the miyabi from slt with the birch handle too. I like the geometry of yours. I don't like parers that are too 'tippy'. I was also considering the 80 mm misono.

I may end up getting two when all is said and done.

K.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

support your blademaker - go custom!

Once you go custom - life is better

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post
    I was actually looking at the miyabi from slt with the birch handle too. I like the geometry of yours. I don't like parers that are too 'tippy'. I was also considering the 80 mm misono.

K.
    I have a 240mm Miyabi Birchwood gyuto that I have been using a lot lately. It is really, really great. Always loved my 10" Miyabi Fusion as a line knife, and the Birchwood is even better. Better steel, profile, geometry, looks. I got the Fusion parer because I really don't use them that much, so I didn't want to spend extra on coin on one.

Quote Originally Posted by mr drinky View Post

K.
    I have the Miyabi, NIB, PM me if you're interested.

Rick

P.S., your mailbox is full.

Quote Originally Posted by oivind_dahle View Post
    support your blademaker - go custom!

Once you go custom - life is better
    I agree. I also have a longer sheep's foot parer coming from Pierre, but customs also require patience. Something I don't always have

K.

Unless you are on a restrictive budget, you should hit up someone like Pierre or Butch. They don't have huge wait times(to the best of my knowledge).

That depends on how patient you are! Haha
    4-6 months is doable, and well worth it in my opinion!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by johndoughy View Post
    Unless you are on a restrictive budget, you should hit up someone like Pierre or Butch. They don't have huge wait times(to the best of my knowledge).
    Yeah, I should check out Butch, and I can't wait for my Pierre knife to come in, but I am only a couple months into the 'wait' so far.

Btw, I think it would be cool to have a three-knife paring set sold somewhere (JKS?) with three different custom makers in the set (Pierre, Butch, Fowler?, Del?, Devin? or maybe another mix) They could all be different styles and sizes. Maybe a 3 1/2 inch, 4 1/2 inch and a sheep's foot. It would be a great way to see the work of different knifemakers and knock out your paring knife arsenal all in one blow. Just an idea.

k.