Another new stone thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKerr

Reaction score
So I somehow managed to smash the glass plate on my shapton GS 1k and put a crack right across the middle of it, so now I need a replacement and while I'm at it I figure I'll get something to replace my GS4k which is getting a little thin. Plus I've never particularly cared for it either.

Ideally I'd like something I can get as fast as possible, but I will be ordering on line. The only store in Melbourne with decent stones is Chefs armoury which carry choseras, but they're obscenely expensive (though I understand stones would be costly to ship and Australia is generally expensive)

Looking at about 80-$100 tops per stone, will be used on a mix of carbon and various stainless (cpm154, gin 3, whatever sugimoto use in the cm series, vg-10), mainly on cleavers, some single bevel use too, preferably no base for transport purposes.

I was considering the bester 1200 and suehiro rika which I've heard is a solid combo; the gesshin 1 and 5k splash and go stones; or saving a bit of money and just buying another king 1/6k combo stone or one of the combo stones from JCK. I have a kitayama to finish on.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Josh

If you don't mind soakers, you should scratch the Gesshin 1k/5k and consider the Gesshin 2k/4k. I also like Sigma Select II 1.2k on the med grit range.

Cheers for the advise TK. Just out of interest, for those out there still using Choseras, do you think they're still worth the money? It seems like there are more and more options coming out that people are swearing by, particularly the Gesshin range.

i have to agree with TK, the gesshin stones have made my sharpening sooo much easier and faster its ridiculous! I want to buy them all even though i dont need them haha :) cant help with the chosera question though have never used them before

I've got the chosera 5k and the 1k on the way. I like the 5k a good bit. It's very fast for a stone in this grit range and leaves a nice edge with a good bit of bite which is why I leave it at work for quick touch ups. It's also a great feeling stone with good feedback. I would like to try the 1 5 10k combo but the cost of the 10k chosera is a bit prohibitive.

Back