K-Sab Canadian

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinacats

Reaction score
Anyone know what the Canadian designation means when used by K-sab? I am thinking this is different from a massif, but not sure enough to order. Thanks

my understanding is that the Canadian or Massif designation was given to vintage and antique forged blades that were introduced to the French Market. the primary difference being that they were not the Nogent style and did not have a Metal ferrule like the classic French design. They did however have a large extended choil and where forged in the "Martinet" style. The production and steel of these knives are hit or miss as are all Sabatiers. After the war Thiers Issard bought up all the forgings of all the little companies that went out of business. Some of these makers were very good and some were not. You never know what you get until you use one. over all the quality of the vintage steel is good, fit and finish, so so.

Personally, I'd choose the Canadian over the Nogent, now that I've owned and sold my Nogent Chef knife. I like the small finger guard and the crammed up handle on the Canadian. If you ask for a thin one, I think you'll be very happy with this knife.

My favorite parers are both Sabs. Of the two, the Nogent blade shape and thinness take the crown, but I found the chef knife unwieldy. I think that's a result of what Son mentioned earlier. They sure are hit or miss....

I hate this thread. I've now added the Canadian Chef, "Antique Carbon" chef and the stainless parer with the same shape as the Nogent into my cart, and deleted them...then went with two, and deleted them...now, I dunno what to do!

Personally, I'd choose the Canadian over the Nogent, now that I've owned and sold my Nogent Chef knife. I like the small finger guard and the crammed up handle on the Canadian. If you ask for a thin one, I think you'll be very happy with this knife.

My favorite parers are both Sabs. Of the two, the Nogent blade shape and thinness take the crown, but I found the chef knife unwieldy. I think that's a result of what Son mentioned earlier. They sure are hit or miss....

What was it you didn't like about the Nogent chefs?

So it seems that the only real choices here are going to be either the K-Sab linked by Son (new steel) or the nogent 4/star elephants. The newer K-Sabs have handles that I don't care for and the steel seems to be softer than the nogent--may be my imagination, but seems like the nogents tend to have the edges roll less than the newer French carbon. I really like the look of the old K-Sab Canadians and even though they only come in 10" size may order one anyway. The 4/star Canadians are limited to 8". I think I am realizing what I probably knew all along which is that I am going to wind up with the 12" nogent to round my set.

The nogents are excellent knives, but as has been said there are some inconsistencies to say the least. I have a 10" chef, 6" and 10" slicers (the 10" slicer weighs in at ~98 grams which is lighter than the SIH 240 suji I had though this was likely due to the smaller handle on the Sab). The 6 inch slicer or petty has the best profile and geometry of any knife I have tried in this size though may not be saying much as I am more limited in my experience than many here. My chef's knife is great and gets better with each thinning session...should just send it on in to DM for spa treatment and be done with it, but that takes some of the fun out of the equation.

Tom, I am most definitely going to add one of the small paring knives as highly as you recommend them.

PC040607.jpg

edit...just polished (sanded) my 6" slicer and looks like I whacked the edge :sad0:

Definitely get the parer! It's made me look forward to peeling and coring for the first time in my life!

As for the chef knife (please, Nogent fans, know this is due to my style and preferences), I found it to feel clumsy, tall, thick and angular. I tried to like it, I really did, but it just didn't fit my style. The other Sabs, however, they are right in my wheel house!

Back