New Yoshihide Suji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mainaman

Founding Member
Reaction score
Got this from Maksim with no scales, to use as my first project for rescaling.
I got a nice set of Ironwood scales from eBay and here is the result.

r9q2vc.jpg

117e4hk.jpg

w17ezc.jpg

The blade is kasumi, but it has a lot of clouding in the clad, I have never seen shigefusa knife what has that with no natural stone polishing.
I polished the blade some more with finger stones to try and make more comtrast between the clad layers, it does not look as good as a true damascus but it is very nice and gentle looking.

Some close ups of the blade, those were pretty hard to take pics off to show well.

2njg0.jpg

3163h1k.jpg

1es32w.jpg

Friking nice job for the first try :doublethumbsup:
Love the wood too, nothing beats Ironwood burl IMO

M. - Nice work. I am a big fan of the Yoshihide knives also.

very nice done on handle!:thumbsup:

I love the wood, it really looks great.

Are you pleased with how it turned out, Mainaman?

Will you do anything differently on the next one?

I love the wood, it really looks great.

Are you pleased with how it turned out, Mainaman?

Will you do anything differently on the next one?
If I ever do another western rehandle I'd do some things in the process differently just to make the work easier. I am very happy how it turned out that is for sure.

Looks really good.
What tools/equipment did you use for this?
Max drilled the holes in the tang, I widened with a Dremel with diamond bit, then finished with carbide bit.
Wood was drilled with Dremel with the same carbide bit. Some of the shaping and thinning was done on a generic belt sander, rest with a saw/files/sand paper.

Looks good. Ironwood came out nice. How does it cut?
After the rehandle I sharpened on a Green Aoto from Maksim, the edge is very good, cutting is really something. The blade goes trough food very easy and there is no sticktion, I need to use it more to get full impression but so far it is a great blade, I like it better than my Shige wa-suji that I used to own, it is a bit stiffer which is a plus for me.

Back