Another "which stones" question

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pachowder

Reaction score
Hi all. Have done a bunch or searching and just looking for some reassurance. I am strictly a stainless guy (but do have a carbon hhh blade in the mix) and recently bought the bester 1200 and Suehiro 5000 stone. Have some stopping material also. Anyway, was that a very good choice or would the jki gg 2000 been a better choice? Not looking for the most expensive bsolute top of the line choice but a solid choice for a lowly home cutter like me :)

Solid choice - No need to second guess. Dave recommends them for a reason.

Yeah, that was exactly why I chose them. Not that I doubted but wanted to see if the experts here thought the gg 2000 was "better" ...understanding of course that it is just people's preferences :)

how do you guys compare Gesshin 2000+4000 & bester 1200+Suehiro Rika 5000??

I started a new thread with Charles question...I wanted to make sure people saw it and it wasn't just hidden here. Hope that's ok!

There's nothing wrong with the Bester-Rika combo. However, the Rika does get muddy quick and you lose some feedback. I find edges are keener on harder stones, as well. The Rika shines for large bevels on carbon steel.

There's nothing wrong with the Bester-Rika combo. However, the Rika does get muddy quick and you lose some feedback. I find edges are keener on harder stones, as well. The Rika shines for large bevels on carbon steel.

+1. I really like finishing on harder stones. They leave a very crisp edge.

tk and K-Fed, Which harder stones are you talking about specifically?

I've got a couple j-nat finishing stones and an aoto that are my favorite for getting a really nice keen edge, but the king 6k and chocera 5k that I also enjoy quite a bit are not hard per se but certainly harder than the rika.

Latest posts

Back