Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: how do you guys compare Gesshin 2000+4000 & bester 1200+Suehiro Rika 5000??

how do you guys compare Gesshin 2000+4000 & bester 1200+Suehiro Rika 5000??

I started a reassurance thread and wanted to start a new on based on Charles question since it was a good one and I didn't want it to be buried and not respinded too...thoughts?

I see the Bester and Suehiro recommended much more than the Gesshin

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    That's because the Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k are excellent entry level stones, at less than half the price of the Gesshin 2000/4000 ($100 vs $230). Most people looking for entry level stones balk somewhat at the Gesshin prices.

I've used three of the four and the Gesshins are well worth the price.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rdm_magic View Post
    I think that because Bester and Suehiro in the market for long time & lots place sell those stone. on the other hand, "Gesshin" is JKI's house brand and on the market "not too long ago"??....I'm not sure when....
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    That's because the Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k are excellent entry level stones, at less than half the price of the Gesshin 2000/4000 ($100 vs $230). Most people looking for entry level stones balk somewhat at the Gesshin prices.

I've used three of the four and the Gesshins are well worth the price.

Rick
    so Rick, basically, in your opinion, Gesshins 2000+4000 have better performance?? do you mind give us more detail information compare those stones' performance??
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Why are you looking at the 2k to 4k jump? If you are looking for a finer edge and higher polish, you can go from the 2k to the 6k. FWIW, I talked to Jon at JKI about this and considered buying the 6k for this reason.

Instead, I decided to keep using my King 6k and bought a Takashima Awasedo as a finishing stone instead (primarily for single bevel, carbon steel knives). I stop at the 2k for most of my daily use knives.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Since this a reassurance thread, I feel I should add that what stones are best or are "best performing" really depends on a number of factors - your knives, the kind of edge you are looking for, the level of polish, speed that the stone cuts, the feel/feedback of the stone, how much a stone dishes, and the edge and finish the stones leave.

If you already have a Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5k, don't worry, they are good stones and better than many out there. However, if you are looking to buy stones, a little more info about what you are looking for as far as characteristics and price would help us assist you.
    Michael
    "Don't you know who he is?"

Quote Originally Posted by cclin View Post
    so Rick, basically, in your opinion, Gesshins 2000+4000 have better performance?? do you mind give us more detail information compare those stones' performance??
    I'll speak to the Gesshin 2000 vs the Bester 1200, as I don't have a Gesshin 4000.

In my experience, the two stones cut about as quickly, but the Gesshin doesn't dish as quickly. The edge off the Gesshin is quite suitable for general kitchen use without any further polish, while the edge from the Bester begs for a higher grit or some stropping. If you were to buy only one stone, the Gesshin 2000 would do quite nicely.

Rick

thanks, Rick. that is what I needs to know!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    I'll speak to the Gesshin 2000 vs the Bester 1200, as I don't have a Gesshin 4000.

In my experience, the two stones cut about as quickly, but the Gesshin doesn't dish as quickly. The edge off the Gesshin is quite suitable for general kitchen use without any further polish, while the edge from the Bester begs for a higher grit or some stropping. If you were to buy only one stone, the Gesshin 2000 would do quite nicely.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    Since this a reassurance thread, I feel I should add that what stones are best or are "best performing" really depends on a number of factors - your knives, the kind of edge you are looking for, the level of polish, speed that the stone cuts, the feel/feedback of the stone, how much a stone dishes, and the edge and finish the stone......
    Michael, thanks for feedback! that is so typical, we all know we want a stone good for all kinds of steel(carbon, semi- stainless, stainless & powdered steel) good feedback, fast cutting but not too hard for kitchen knives, resists dishing well, good finish with nice toothy! I just needs people's opinion who have experience used all those stones!!